Best Free AV!?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Relemar, Apr 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Relemar

Relemar Registered Member

Hey guys, what's the BEST FREE Antivirus, please don't tell me to look on AV_COMPARITVES.org i cannot understand it.

whats the best free av?

2. coldplay

coldplay Registered Member

3. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

go for avast- avast
    or avg- Avg

Both are good...but my vote will go for avast.its excellent

4. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    IMO AVS....Kaspersky gives this through AOL.

http://www.activevirusshield.com/antivirus/freeav/index.adp?

Second choice would be Antivir
    http://www.free-av.com/

I clean too many machines where stuff makes it past AVG, not impressed with that anymore at all..not when the above two products are the same price...and are proven to be more effective.

Avast slows machines down too much...when I'd install it on peoples PCs...majority would complian about how slow their PC got..and how excruciatingly long it now takes to boot up.

5. btman

btman Registered Member

First... Av-Comparatives has thousands of malware samples and they run scans with each AV to see what it detects, and what it misses.. And at the bottom they put it into a %. Thats On-Demand. Retrospective IMO is less important.

Second... Avast is good if your lazy (It does everything for you lawl)
    And Avira is good if your a dangerous surfer (Or naughty?)
    And AVS (Using Kaspersky engine woot)... Has the Kaspersky engine... Which makes it awesome... lol...

Choose 1 of the 3... Because you really can't go wrong.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

avast or active virus shield
    i never liked the skined interface but i found a way of turning off the skins:thumb:
    the only think lacking from the paid pro version is the script block.
    i always forget that active virus shield is kaspersky with aol interface:D
    also dont install the aol toolbar by unticking the little box during install.
    active virus shield link below
    http://www.activevirusshield.com/antivirus/freeav/index.adp?

7. Relemar

so what IS the best, not what you think. thanks for the quick reply, keep answerinfg me please. i use avast home edition, is the ebst AVAST, AVIRA OR AVG OR SOMET OTHER?

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

they are all great av's there is no "best" you have to choose the one that you like and works best on your pc
    lodore

9. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    You're asking an impossible question to answer. If you ask people...the answer you get is what they think. How much you believe what they "think"..that's up to you.

Your other alternative which would be more informative compared to peoples opinions is to research comparison sites such as AV_COMPARITVES.org.....however you stated you don't wish to do that..it's too much work for you.

Add to that..comparisons are simply comparisons..people will still try to find fault in them...so you'll never get a 100% agreement as to which is the best.

10. Londonbeat

Londonbeat Registered Member

Relemar,

There is probably no objective 'best', only subjective oppinions based on people's experiences.

11. Relemar

right, thank you. I see the deal thing on avira what some people tell me go first post and i see it and register and i try that, is AVS good, it kav but aol? which good av isnt it?

AVIRA VS AVAST WHO WINS out of the free editionon?

12. btman

btman Registered Member

Avira vs Avast? With most other comparisons I could give a straight answer but for them... I can't...

Yes AOL is KAV in disguise... And KAV rules.. And I use it... And it is the best in my opinion... So yes it is a good choice as well as Avira and Avast... xD..

13. Relemar

but i dont know which one, AVG IS BUMFLUFF AVIRA IS VERY NICE, AVASt i like it but i dont know technically which one is best. they all have shields and stuff, avast offers more shields and protection.

if you was me what would you choose?

14. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

My choice would be AOl and secondly Avira

15. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

try them all out and see which you prefer... everyone has their own opinions... what one person likes, you may hate.
    there are mainly 4 free AVs, so shouldnt take too long making your decision...
    list of free AVs (in order of name)
    AVG
    AntiVir PE
    Avast!
    AVS

Personally, I dont use free AVs, but if i didnt have a choice but to use a free one, I'd get AVS or AntiVir, but its your call at the end of the day.

16. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

If you are looking at detection rates, get Avira or AOL AVS.

17. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

You can't go wrong with avast! or AOL AVS.

18. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

AOL AVS or AVIRA AntiVir PE. I don't really trust Avast just yet. AVG is OK, but the free edition lacks PUP detection.

19. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

While I will vote for AVS, I agree with the other posters that it really is a matter of opinion and you can't go wrong with either avast or antivir. One note, AVS runs very light on my machine. At the moment, 2 processes totalling 5.7 kb's (which is a little lower that average).

20. coldplay

coldplay Registered Member

how can these free AVs beat KIS and Antivir PP when they are free?

21. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

AVIRA's AntiVir Classic was the first 'free' AV that I tried (16 months ago) and since it worked great, never tried any of the others.

A few cautions on AntiVir, be CERTAIN to download from AVIRA (they list 'mirror downloads' at the top of their Download Site) mirror downloads of AntiVir are noted for problems. While you are at it, you should also download the proper (different for Win98/ME or XP/Win2k) Manual Update, so you can install 'off-line' and Update before going 'on-line', AntiVir is sensitive to presence of 'other' AV's or remenant's of previous AV's.

The most common complaint from AntiVir Classic users is the 'clog' at the Update Servers when large downloads are published.

This happens about four times a year and next week (18 April) is promised a huge download for all users of a new build designed to accomodate VISTA as well as WinXP 64bit.

So expect a week or ten days of extremely slow internet updates from the AVIRA Classic Servers.

Relief would be to download 'Manual Updates' from AntiVir incremental VDF update (IVDF)
    (or VDF for Win98/ME) and that site link is not the Free-AV- Classic servers which may be clogged next week. :)

22. Technic

Technic Registered Member

You should check Avira Free indeed.

AVG free does not have spyware protection anymore. AOL is good choice too.

23. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    AVG, Antivir or avast! are good choices. Stay away from AOL - because it's AOL.
    Mrk

24. plantextract

plantextract Registered Member

it's juat kav minus - some features with an aol interface (icon looks kind of ugly) . if you choose not istall the "security toolbar" you won't get any non-kaspersky file on your pc.

25. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

AOL, hell no?
    Let's hope there are no more "oops my bad" story, but i'm not into that.
    AVG, Antivir or Avast!. One of them should be what you want/need.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.