Best firewalls these days is hips still a thing

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by majorpain, Feb 12, 2022.

1. majorpain

majorpain Registered Member

Looking for a firewall anti-virus suiti mine crypto with my gpu and Norton firewall won't work with crypto mining for whatever reason even with rules

Preffer a free security suite however don't mind paying either

2. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

why do not try yourself after creating an image?
    there exist no "best", each firewall has its focus and that may differ from users experience.

BTW norton includes a mining library, but it wont create coins for you, more norton.

3. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

4. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I'll second Wise Vector. Currently the full version with FW and HIPS is free to use. I don't know if that will change when it's out of Beta and becomes paid.

Just install, update, and in Settings switch the FW and HIPS to high security.

5. snerd

snerd Registered Member

How does Wise Vector compare with Malwarebytes Pro with all protections turned on? It looks very interesting, but am I already covered?

6. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

Personally, I think it's much better. But I also think Malwarebytes in just horrible, and think that MS Defender/Security just keeps getting better. That was something I could not have said even two years ago with a straight face. Maybe ditch the third party stuff now. Or, at the very least, ditch the third party stuff that focus on great marketing and not great protection.

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Registered Member

Malwarebytes Pro is a well known mature solution well tested by security labs. From other hand Wise Vector make only promises, better stay away from it :)

8. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

I like Windows defender with configure_defender by Andy Ful... teamed up with spyshelter firewall for antikeylogger/firewall/hips....

9. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

malwarebytes is a bad joke in comparison to windows defender. its results are more than worse. and it is no firewall.

10. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Is there anything to tighten up Windows Defender Firewall? I have not even looked at it to be honest since installing Windows 11. Taking a quick peek, looks like a lot of things can be disabled both inbound and outbound. What about monitoring and logs? Is this why folks go with 3rd party firewalls?

11. plat

plat Registered Member

Trooper, I don't use front-ends any more. You've heard of Hard_Configurator, right? I use the FirewallHardening module of H_C, that's it. It's a set of outbound-only rules. You install H_C like usual and then off the UI, you start the module and what I use is the H_C recommended. No problems since 2 years. You can enable the logger in H_C too if you want. :thumb: I used to use TinyWall and still like it a lot but this is way easier to manage.

https://malwaretips.com/threads/firewallhardening-tool.112228/

12. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Agree, H_C for hardening Defender's Firewall is the best option by far :thumb:

13. Trooper

Thanks @plat1098 and @wat0114. I have heard of it but never checked it out. So I download H_C but only need to use the firewall module?

14. Azure Phoenix

15. plat

plat Registered Member

OK, yes, it does look like you can install it as a stand-alone. Which is nice. I have it as part of H_C. Whatever works.

16. majorpain

OK thanks does anyone know if h_c is compatable with nanominer gpu mining cryptocurrencies

17. Surt

Surt Registered Member

Ditto.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/posts/2804423/
    The write up is still up to date except now GW writes its Defender rules as in these examples
    WildersGWdefenderRules.jpg
    An outbound rule reads out.app, natch. (Rules are controlled in the GW UI and its rules in the Defender console are for viewing only; no editing allowed.)

Monitoring, etc. etc. etc.
    https://www.glasswire.com/features/

Cheers.

18. Trooper

Thanks a lot guys. Will check it out as time allows.

19. Azure Phoenix

20. majorpain

There's a firewall hardening file avialble on no virus website I'm wondering if this would be any better than h_c firewall hardener or not anyone familiar with that one

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.