Best firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Sunnysdsr, Aug 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sunnysdsr

Sunnysdsr Registered Member

What's the best/most secure firewall in the market right now? and why?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

if u need protection against leaktests then id consider jetico, KIS, ZA, or outpost firewall.

each of mentioned firewalls are rule-based (except ZA) and they all have features that are effective against leaktests.

and lastly, i suggest u visit this site: Firewall Leak Tester, browse these forums for (past) advice, and consider trying the various firewalls to see which one works best for you.

3. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Are you talking for home grade use? Or overall? If overall...you can get into some very pricey enterprise solutions...with a couple of numbers in front of the comma in the price tag. ;) Unified Threat Management appliances, Microsoft ISA 2004, etc.

4. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

:thumb: Phoenix embedded linux-based 1U rackmount unit :thumb:

But i think he is talking about homeuser. So i would say Jetico if he is an advenaced user, or Look n Stop and the last Sygate as well as kerio 2.15 (?)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  5. SirMalware

SirMalware Registered Member

I use KIS 6 on my laptops and main PC, but I have an older PC that had Zone Alarm installed on it forever, but as an experiment, I switched to Jetico and so far, I am impressed and am a new convert.

6. octogen

octogen Registered Member

I second this, but would also add Outpost to this list.

Edit: Added statement about Outpost

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  7. cprtech

cprtech Registered Member

The soon-to-be-released Outpost pro, version 4.0 promises to block all current leak tests.

8. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Supposedly, according to the software vendor and several users of the product, the latest release of the FREE Comodo Personal Firewall blocks all of the current leak tests as well.....

9. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

The upcoming Outpost Personal Firewall (4.0 - http://www.agnitum.com/) will be the best firewall in my opinion.

10. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,folks: According to a friend of mine, who is a beta tester for outpost pro 4. The feature of anti leak control will push it into higher level of protection. He would not elaborate it, we just have to wait and see.

11. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

I think Comodo has put a lot of pressure out there :D

12. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

.... and if the 'Internal access' feature of Jetico v2 is working well, there will be more presure to other FW's.

13. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I found jetico to be the most secure of the ones i've used, however it was a little annoying to use. The best imo is outpost pro, its user friendly, very secure and doesn't use a lot of system resources.

14. Clweb

Clweb Registered Member

Oupost uses a lot of system ressouces. Even if the RAM usage has dropped, it make the PC "sluggish". After deinstalling it, the difference was notable.
    I used 3.51 and the latest betas.
    It is going to become a security suite. Only the antivirus is missing.
    I don't like security suites. :mad:

15. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

No such thing. Best is what suits you and are familiar. So it is not a black box, but you know how to use it. Win XP firewall is though good for many people, hehe.
    Things to consider are CPU usage and memory and not slowing down your system.

I run currently kerio 2.1.5 with processguard free with 11.3 MB memory consumption sum from both of those. More important though is CPU usage. With those I get no percentage shown.

There are people boasting something like Comodo fw from china, with bloat and feeling so good cause they say it blocks all the stupid leaktests. Well, keeps them happy I guess :p

Last edited: Aug 19, 2006
  16. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

Windows Firewall is fine if you don't want any extra frills or functions. No outgoing protection, but then again, for most average users its probably fine.

17. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I used Outpost 3.51 and it took 2-12 MB RAM with logging and AS disabled.
    In default setup Outpost takes up to 35 MB and can cause some slow downs.

18. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I use that set up too and seems to work quietly away. I do like to try out other f/w's and gave the latest Comodo beta a try. They say it passes all leaktests but when I tried the PC Flank one it connected straight away as I could see with a packet filter. As I understand it, it should have stopped completely. Also when it ask if a browser can connect it connects anyway and you can just ignore the pop up. Do not have any confidence in that product at all, and it required an image restore to get rid of it.

19. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

You raise a good point kdm31091. Windows XP Firewall may well be enough protection for someone like myself who surfs safely. I use FireFox with Site Advisor, Antivir PE for Virus protection, and currently use SKPF 4.2.3 for a Firewall. Although I don't notice any slow down with my PC while using it, logging off seems to take longer with SKPF installed. I am wondering if you notice this with your Kerio Firewall, and how do you like using ProcessGuard Free . I know Jarmo P likes it. Thanks everyone and take care.

20. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

It's more likely AntiVir that's causing the longer time that it's taking to log off of your system. It has to close several services before releasing the program, and from my experience it does this slowly. I ran AntiVir with SKPF as well as Outpost Pro. When I replaced AntiVir with NOD32, the time it took to log off decreased quite noticeably. This held true with both SKPF and Outpost.

21. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

I'm finding the opposite. My system shuts down quicker when running Antivir compared to when I'm running NOD or KAV for that matter. And start up is quicker too.

22. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I can't remember it taking as long until I installed Antivir a little while ago, and Kerio seems to be the first icon in the system tray upon log on. I like Antivir so it is a small price to pay if that is the culprit. I was thinking of using ZA free 6.1.744 with ProcessGuard Free for a few weeks until new Comodo Firewall release is out and proven to be as stable as last version. Any thoughts on this, considering some of the recent ZA trubles? Oh and thanks q1aqza and QBgreen.

23. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

So, Jarmo.....what's your experience with Comodo been like?

Oh wait, maybe you're not familiar with it. After all, the "Comodo fw from china" comment does kinda seem to indicate that. Actually, the truth is they are headquartered in the United States....and this little excerpt is from their web page:

Some Fast Facts about Comodo:

* Headquarters in Jersey City, USA with global offices in UK, Norway and India
    * Exclusive provider of digital security services to top level domain name registrants
    * More than 150,000 customers in more than 100 countries, securing 500,000+ businesses and individuals
    * 4500 strong global partner network
    * Operates one of the world's largest fastest growing Certification Authority infrastructures with the highest standards as evidenced by our KPMG annual audits
    * World-renowned Digital Trust Lab Research and Development Center
    * Contributing member of the Trusted Computing Group

which can be found on this link: http://www.comodogroup.com/corporate/

;)

24. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Really? I didn't know it was becoming a security suite. Will that be version 4? I haven't noticed much of a slow down, what sort of computer did you run yours on?

25. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Nor do I and I don't think it will become a security suite, looking at their latest newsletter:

Also would like to say that it's not running heavy on my system, since I disabled the logging. :)
    The above list doesn't appear to me as bloatware, nor a security suite. It does offer more protection, which is fine by me. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.