Best FDE software for Mac?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by DoubleDee, Apr 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoubleDee

DoubleDee Registered Member

Hi all. I'm Debbie and new to this website...

In the past, I have been a bad girl and never encrypted my computer?! :oops:

So, since I am planning on buying a new MacBook Pro in the next week or so, I want to get advice on FDE.

Mac diehards tell me that Mountain Lion comes with "File Vault 2", but from what I have read in the news, 1.) It has been hacked, and 2.) Apple installed back doors in it so the Apple Techs could conceivably get into your data.

Now, I'm not here to start a fight, but I am here to protect my data!!!

Personally I have always been a fan of open-source software, and am thinking maybe I can find some good open-source FDE??

I guess my main goals are:

a.) Simplicity
    b.) Compatibility
    c.) Reliability

I have read good things about TrueCrypt and PGP, but am not sure if that advice holds in 2013, or if that advice applies to Macs?

Any suggestions for the security gurus out there would be appreciated!!

Sincerely,

Debbie

P.S. I made my first post almost a month ago, and no one ever responded... :(

2. box750

box750 Registered Member

Truecrypt can not do full disk encryption in Mac computers, it only works in Windows. I see no problem with Symantec PGP other than you have to pay for it.

3. DoubleDee

Can I buy Symantec PGP for my Mac as a Personal User?

Can I actually buy the software, or is it s "license"? (I think CheckPoint does that which is scary!!)

When I looked at Sophos, CheckPoint, and maybe Symantec tonight, they all made you give out all of this personal info just to get a sales response, which I found *obnoxious*.

I'm not a corporation, I just want to buy 1 bundle of software, install it, and be done?!

Debbie

4. box750

box750 Registered Member

I used PGP a long time ago before Symantec bought the company, it used to be possible back then to buy a single license for a home user after all the hops you describe but I don't know how if things have changed.

5. DoubleDee

Most people would say to use Mountain Lion's built in "FileVault 2", but I am pretty nervous about using it after reading this...

FileVault 2’s Apple ID Backdoor

What do you think about that?

And what options do I have left??

(I thought TrueCrypt was "all that", but after reading around today, the consensus is that it is pretty hackable, especially on Macs...)

It seems like the more I read, the more confusing my choices get...

Debbie

6. Jessica19

Jessica19 Registered Member

TrueCrypt is very good and I have been using it for years. No problems at all. I use it to encrypt my old hard disks in case they get lost.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.