Best Family Filtering Program

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by 123blackjack, Jun 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 123blackjack

123blackjack Registered Member

I am in search for best family filtering program, my options are :

1) Bluecoat's K9
    2) Norton Online family
    3) Windows family filter

Which out the three is more fater. Does any of it have a local database rather than polling a server for filtering info before each request...

Heard K9 is slower, but i trust bluecoats enterprise presence...

Will filtering make privacy at risk?

2. Phil McCrevis

Phil McCrevis Registered Member

3. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

4. 123blackjack

THe DNS alternative does not work in all cases. Here is why (correct me if i am wrong), my ISP use browser based login , the page address is changing sometimes, ISP
    's dns server provides me the login page... In this case how to do it ?

5. mechBgon

mechBgon Registered Member

I use the Windows/Microsoft Family Safety at work. The computers using Family Safety have very specific roles, so I use the whitelist-only approach. It works great.

You asked about where the filtering data is stored. It appears that on Win7, the system will check in with the Family Safety server at log-on to see if there's a revised whitelist, or otherwise it will use the last one it received. On Win8, it's a local Windows component, although you might be able to use the "cloud" version by installing Windows Live Essentials to get the version we use on Win7.

Since I'm only using the whitelist approach, I don't have any input on the less restrictive modes. Anyway, it's free and pretty simple to set up, if you want to give it a try.

6. 123blackjack

AFAIK what k9 does is it communicates with the bluecoat's server for each page before deciding where to allowor not. Benefit is result for an always upto date and from a huge db. Issue with this is : more latency

So windows family filter does not check online for each page requests? family filter also does the same thing?

7. mechBgon

mechBgon Registered Member

I think the whitelisting mode is be a special case, since the whitelist gets saved locally at log-on, and takes the place of content-filtering judgments entirely, eliminating the need to communicate with a server before loading a page. However, the SmartScreen filter on IE works by checking page reputations with Microsoft's servers, and I haven't noticed serious lag there unless I try to open a dozen tabs at a time (and even then, it might be the Tracking Protection).

So I think it would be worth a try, it won't take long to determine if it's going to be a lag problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.