Best external 2.5" hard disk option

Discussion in 'hardware' started by m00nbl00d, Oct 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I'm searching for two external 2.5" hard disks to store documents, musics, movies, etc; and e-mails would be in a separated one.

These are to be "bundled" to a laptop, which only has a 60GB hard disk.

I was thinking of a 250GB hard disk for documents, etc. And one with less capacity for storing the e-mail. But, 250GB was the less capacity I could find.

So, I was wondering if would be a better approach to get one 320GB hard disk and, perhaps create two partitions, which one would be for the e-mails. I'm leaning towards this approach; after all, I highly doubt any movies will be seen or musics heard when sending or receiving e-mail.

Having that in mind, I'd like to ask your personal opinions, if you make use of such hard disks, about:

Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 320Gb 2.5 USB 2.0 and Western Digital My Passport 320GB - 2,5".

I've also checked this one LG XD5 320Gb USB 2.0 Black Silver.

Or, what do you think of getting a WD Scorpio Black 320 GB, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16 MB Cache, 7200 RPM? That leaves something behind... external case. Which one?

Any thoughts?

Thank you

2. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

I have used both WD and SeaGate and found them to both be good. Be sure to check on the warranty period. Some of the drives (from both manufacturers) come with a 2 year warranty and others 5. Guess which are going to be a bit more expensive but also more reliable. I would also suggest that you keep an eye on the price difference between the drive capacity you are looking at the next capacity size higher. More is always better and the next size up is often not much more expensive.

3. m00nbl00d

Yesterday, I took a look at prices, but I must have missed one, because I rechecked and saw that a Western Digital My Passport 500GB costs €69,99 and Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 320Gb 2.5 USB 2.0 costs €69,90.

I'm guessing the Seagate one is more expensive, because if people also buy their adaptor, then they can make use of USB 3.0, but laptop would require an USB 3.0 card as well, and no place for it. So, I guess the choice is there.

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  4. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Seagates have a much higher failure rate. Over the last 4 years and 20 Western Digital drives we have had here only 1 of them has failed. We don't have any working Seagates and won't likely buy more any time soon.

5. m00nbl00d

I'm going for the Western Digital, by the way. I guess I made it see I was going for the Seagate by writing "So, I guess the choice is there.".

No idea the Seagates were that problematic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.