Best Eset S/ware for Win7 Pro 64 bit.

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Bille1, Feb 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bille1

Bille1 Registered Member

I have Nod32 2.7 on another 32 bit computer but have a new computer with Win7 Pro 64 bit OS.

Initially I was going to just go with Eset Nod32 Ver.4 for 64 bit machines but after reading a number of AV posts on a number of sites including this one.

I'm a bit confused as to which ESET product version to use because there appears to be some problems with versions other than 2.7, but of course this version isn't a 64 bit version from what I've read.

I sent an email to ESET sales in Australia 1 February 2010 with a couple of questions.....absolutely no response.

I posted a concern about the Australian office in this forum and Agoretsky responded with; "My best guess is that the folks in ESET's Australian office must be very busy. If you do not receive a reply to your voice mail or email in a reasonable amount of time then perhaps a local ESET reseller can assist you."

Problem is there seems to be no other ESET reseller/s in Australia, so Aussies are stuck with the non responsive office here in Australia.

I have come across a few other complaints about ESET not responding to emails so my experience is not an isolated incident.

So....can someone here give me some advice on the Version to use with a Win7 Pro 64 bit machine.

Thanks for reading, any help appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  2. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

ESET NOD32 4.0.x or 4.2.x will be fine.

I think ESET shot themselves in the foot when the named the product NOD32, as it sounds really dated to 64-bit users. NOD32 works fine on 64-bit, and the drivers are 64-bit, but it does sound dated having 32 in the name.

After all, which sounds more dated - Office XP or Office 2002? Money 2008 or Money Plus?

Jim

3. Bille1

Bille1 Registered Member

Thanks, yes the Nod32 thing is confusing, but why does ESET have a 64 bit version on the download site?? http://eset.com.au/download/trial_versions.html if the 32 bit will run fine on a 64 bit machine?

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

PC Users (64-bit) ***
    ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4
    Microsoft® Windows® Vista/XP/7 (64-bit) File size: 37 MB Manual Quick Start Guide Download

ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4
    Microsoft® Windows® Vista/XP/7 (64-bit) File size: 37 MB Manual Quick Start Guide Download

*** IMPORTANT NOTE for 64-bit versions :
    A 64-bit Windows Operating System is required for these installations. Typically these are found in servers and high-end workstations with high processing power. Be sure to check your operating system carefully before downloading the 64-bit version.

5. Bille1

Bille1 Registered Member

Marcos all you have done is a cut and past the same info on the page I linked to but didn't really address my question.

So I'll rephrase it, will my existing Nod32 Ver 2.7 (Subject to purchase of an extra license) work on my new Win 7 Pro 64 bit computer or do I need to have Nod32 Version 4 64 bit.

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The 64-bit version of NOD32 v2 will work, however, it will not give you as good protection as ESET Antivirus v4.

7. Bille1

Bille1 Registered Member

On the ESET download page http://eset.com.au/download/trial_versions.html it lists 2 X versions of the 32 bit and 2 X versions of 64 bit all of them are ESET Antivirus v4.

Should I assume;

(a) The 32 bit v4 will ONLY work on computers with a 32 bit OS.

(b) The 64 bit v4 will ONLY work on computers with a 64 bit OS.

(c) Do you know why there are 2 downloads listed for the 32 bit OS and 2 downloads for the 64 bit OS? Well I do now stakz has pointed it out.

(d) Do each of the downloads in each category differ at all? Ditto.

Thanks again for any help.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  8. stackz

stackz Registered Member

Under 32 bit one is for ESET Smart Security the other for the Anti-Virus.
    Under 64 bit, the top listing should be for Smart Security but is mislabeled. The other listing is for the AV.

9. Bille1

Bille1 Registered Member

Damn!!! Now I need three things (1) AV Software (2) New reading glasses (3) Better comprehension of the written word.

Thanks for pointing this out:doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.