Best distro of 2016 poll

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

2. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Maybe you should rename it in "which distro of 2016 sucks less".:)

Panagiotis

3. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

I voted Manjaro, been playing around with the Xfce version and so far it's a model of out of the box readiness and stability.
    Xubuntu 16.04.1 is also recommendable; maybe there should be a sub-poll for DEs, my vote would go for Xfce, eyes closed.

4. Mrkvonic

@pandlouk, your optimism warms the cockles of my heart.
    Mrk

5. Debian Cinnamon. Despite systemmd it's still the best distro out there followed by Ubuntu and Arch.

6. quietman

quietman Registered Member

I am going to second that .

For me , systemd has always had a bad smell about it , like something that got walked into the house , but you never bothered to actually locate .
    But I'm not going to tinker with such a rock-solid OS just because of that .

There seems to be a slow but steady exodus of old-time , hardcore Linux users towards OpenBSD .
    I think this (longish) article is good general reading on the subject , including the vexed issue of systemd .

7. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

:) I am optimistic for 2017... (it will be hard, to repeat so bad/unpolished releases as the those of 2016):ouch::)

Panagiotis

8. inka

inka Registered Member

I don't have a horse in the race (didn't vote, am using a niche distro waaaay down the list).
    Seems to me the voting options should have spanned "Top 11" rather than 10 because Deepin and Arch are so close, in terms of click counts. I'll be curious to hear whether a large proportion of the votes cast for "Other" are write-ins for Arch.

9. Anonfame1

Anonfame1 Registered Member

I wondered the same thing when I took the poll. I know Mrkvonic isn't too hot on Arch, but I voted other and wrote in Arch anyways :p

10. Mrkvonic

It's just the top 10. Last year Arch was there, this year it ain't.
    Mrk

11. accessgranted

accessgranted Registered Member

I voted Manjaro (xfce flavor) at first place. Second place to me goes to Fedora24. Third place to PartedMagic.
    I already was hooked on Arch-based distros (Arch included), but it's the first time I use xcfe as main desktop on any distro. The Manjaro + xfce combo is mind boggling as far as efficiency and speed are concerned.

12. Parted Magic!!! Forgot about that one. Would be in my top ten for sure.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.