Best Detection For On Demand Scanner:

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by apathy, Jan 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apathy

apathy Registered Member

Hey Guys/Gals,

I bought Avira a year or two ago and love it. Yet Avira is a bit too heavy for my 3 year old laptop. I'm running OA, SBIE, FDISR and I was thinking that I could just run an on demand scanner to keep the nasties off me without sacrificing my memory/cpu.

If you guys could give me some suggestions I'd appreciate it.

2. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

I am using Avira on one of my machines which is 7 years old. Avira is one of the lightest antivirus.

Also, recommend A2 Free as a great on-demand scanner.

3. gery

gery Registered Member

Well the thread is wrongly started. There is no best i think.Better then what you have ther should be something like giving up some of your set up and stick with Avira and a simple firewall

4. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Keeping in mind that a thread like 'this av versus that av' is not allowed ...

If you're cautious, maybe you don't need an AV ! Considering the other security software you're using. Have you considered that especially your security software combo may place an undue burden on your laptop ? Especially if there are conflicts ?

VIPRE (Sunbelt Software) offers a fully-featured (15 days?) free trial, and many people say it's light, although I've also read the opposite. I have no idea how it fits in your security combo. I also haven't seen any good/decent comparative review, sadly.

5. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Use Avast on demand with only the standard shield installed. That should be light enough.

6. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

I use various online scanners.

7. rOadToIS

rOadToIS Registered Member

I really don't think you would need any antimalware softwares since you're using Sandboxie. However, if you want to be 100% safe, use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware free. It's light on system resources and has great detection rate.:thumb:

8. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Avira heavy? :doubt: I put Avira on 8 year old pc's and it runs fine. It sounds like you should invest a little time maintaining your current OS install. ;)

Honestly this thread is going to turn into A vs. B really quick.

9. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

Avira added quite a bit of load time to my 9/10 yr. old Dell XPS. I hated the splash screen.

10. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Takes <30 sec to disable.

11. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Yes it's always good to have a few on hand.

12. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

I don't agree with you. Boot time is 10 seconds faster on my Dell Inspiron 8200 notebook running 1.7MHz with 1 GB of ram using Avira Premium AV or Suite as opposed to NIS 2009. In addition, you can easily disable the Avira splash screen.

13. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

I think a2 is best for on demand. High detection for both spyware/adaware and viruses and good removal.

14. tipo

tipo Registered Member

the lightest on system resources is NOD32 AV. have tried them all untill i got to this conclusion...trust me! use nod32 and comodo firewall pro you`re safe & fast :D

15. risl

risl Registered Member

I think you didn't quite understand what the topic is about.

16. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Why not run Avira as on-demand scanner? I do that with Avira AntiVir Personal... just did not install the Guard. Since you already own the Premium version, or the Suite, you could disable the Guard or uninstall and re-install, unchecking Guard, whatever the case may be. :)

17. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Hi apathy;

With your other security applications, Avira on-demand should serve you well;
    I use it that way in several of my installs and love it's detection capability and scan speed.

I assume you also have the (Kaspersky engine ?) scanner in the OA firewall.

Other posts have mentioned online scanners, and I'm a big fan of many of them.
    One I've played with recently and really like is the new Eset (beta) scanner; you might give that a try as well.
    Here's a link.

http://beta.eset.com/eos

18. Fuzzfas

Forgive the slight OT. Does Avira on demand require a background process running all the time?

Thanks.

19. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

No it does not. :)

20. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

There is a portable Version of Avira here .It's not officially suported,one of the main users on their forum have reccomand it.
    Also i have to say that the on demand scanner in Avira detects'l less than the Guard.Probably it should be like this but just wanted to let u know.

21. PiCo

PiCo Registered Member

I believe you should also uncheck the Scheduled daily update within the program.

Also a start up entry for the tray icon not to appear.

22. Fuzzfas

Thank you Page 42 and Virtumonde. I will add Avira Personal on demand. :D

23. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Agree. I set the scheduler service to manual. Then I put a shortcut to preupd.exe from the Avira installation directory on my desktop. http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=74097 :thumb:

24. PiCo

PiCo Registered Member

I installed Avira on demand too, disabled scheduler service, removed start up entry, eliminated nag screen and put a preupd.exe shortcut in Start Menu folder.

This is great workaround and you can easily and very fast scan files by right clicking them.

One question:In installation I got a choice for W32 file heuristics or sth between low, balanced and high and since I'll run it on demand I set it to high.

But how can I cahnge that now if I want to?

25. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

See image...

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.