best compatability Firewall + AV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by lynchknot, Jun 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

Being that this board supports NOD32, I should know the answer but i'm looking for compatablility. I have decided to continue using/learning Outpost firewall (seems "infinitely" configurable - which I like and want to learn) but I want your advice on a suitable AV. Shall it be AVG or NOD32. AVG comes from the advice of someone very well known in the connection "speed arena" . But I do trust the advice of many - as you guys here have much experience as well - and this is your specialty - security. Thanks for your help.

2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I've tested a lot of AV always with Outpost and doesn't have any problem...

As you can see in my signature, I think that you already know my suggestion :p

3. lynchknot

You run NOD32 and Avast? or you have 2 machines? The only problem i'm having is incompatability with EZAV and Outpost's log clearing.

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

My active AV is NOD32 and the avast! is my backup AV, but I have the Script Blocker feature of avast! active until the NOD32 released the new beta version ;)

When the Outpost is clearing the log, in my PC he takes only a few seconds...

5. lynchknot

my problem is the fact that Outpost appears to be running high CPU when clearing log files - because AV is somehow hooked to it. It is fine unless i'm running another CPU intensive app - in which case has caused lock-ups on my desktop because of the "CPU battle" between apps

6. Socio

Socio Registered Member

7. lynchknot

I do not recall which AV but I tried an AV that was supposed to be quick but took 24 hours to perforn an on demand scan with advanced heuristics - it may have been Kaspersky or NOD32 or some other well known. I was told it woulld improve with subsequent scans but it never did,.

8. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I think that it was the KAV...

The new version of KAV still have some anoying problems, so...

9. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

KAV doesn't have AH.

10. lynchknot

I researched some old posts and found that it was Kaspersky and it took 10 hours not 24 but never improved
    This is why I gave up NOD32 - hopefully, it has impoved since? I was using IE when I picked this up and nod could not do a thing with it. i ended up with so many exe running - shown in my taskmanager - it took 2 hours to rid all of it.
    That's what I got for being naive and going to a stupid site like that. - to top if off with active X enabled.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2004
  11. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

NOD32 and Look 'n' Stop work well together and both are extremely low on resources.

12. lynchknot

Thank you Slovak, I appreciate your input. I'm, at this time, looking for a match for Outpost. I know that Look and Stop is a very good firewall - one that I have not experimented with as of yet. I have most all the others. Some day, I'll give it a "spin"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.