Best backup mode for second internal drive?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by cloudboy, Sep 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cloudboy

cloudboy Registered Member

I have a question. I have Drive Backup Pro 9. I have a home computer and just want to use a second internal hard drive to backup my
    original hard drive in case of failure. I figure both drives probably won't fail simultaneously. The original drive has three
    partitions; a hidden Sony OEM partition with system restore, a C system drive and an E logical drive. I would like to
    synchronize the two discs monthly and be able to purge data since deleted from the source disc or at least not
    copy it again. I have read the entire help manual but am still confused about the best way to do this.
    Backup disc? Copy disc? Clone disc? And which of these allows "differential backup to file image" with ancillary file backups? How would I structure a combination of a backup image in conjunction with differential file backup? I greatly appreciate any feedback.
    Thank you very much!

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Hello cloudboy,

There are many options here and I'll try to briefly describe what each can do.

1. Drive Copy - this feature is a one time copy and can also be scheduled to run periodically. It essentially carbon clones one hard drive to another. The destination hard drive needs to be formatted before the Drive Copy is performed. The advantage and disadvantage of this type of backup is: it does not require paragon to restore files, but it's vulnerable to malicious attacks.

2. Hard Disk Backup - basically a base image of your hard drive which includes all partitions stored as archive files. Paragon needs to be present and running to extract files or restore the complete archive.

3. Differential Backup - requires a base image ( partition or hard disk backup) and writes separate backups containing only the changes since the base image. All different backups are independent of each other, one differential backup can exist without the other as long as the base image is available.

4. Incremental Backup - requires a file level backup image, and different from Differential backup. The incremental backups are not independent of each other. They require all previous incremental backups to restore.

5. Cyclic Backup (professional & server editions only) - Very similar to Differential Backup but can only be performed for one partition at a time. Users can set how many archives to retain and the program will delete the oldest archive once the newest archive is created.

-Tommy

3. renegade08

renegade08 Registered Member

Tommy,

What about questions asked in the threads bellow?
    I see that you guys were absent for some time, but it's nice to have answers not only to new threads, but also to old ones.

- Renegade

4. cloudboy

cloudboy Registered Member

Thank you very much, Tommy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.