best avi/divx to dvd program??

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by zfactor, Dec 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

looking for alternatives.. need it to be pretty diverse and not compalin about ever different type of avi or divx codec.. lmk what you use thanks!!!

2. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

ConvertXtoDVD

Featureful and stable.

http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/

Has never failed me.

3. strangequark

strangequark Registered Member

man there are a squillion programs out there for avi/divx > dvd, my favourites after much trial and error are TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress for straight conversion, and if you want to convert xvid/avi/divx to dvd and do dvd authoring with menus etc. then TMPGEnc DVD Author is the way to go. Both excellent programs that are easy to use and .......... just work without any headaches.

4. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

DVDFlick

You're better off getting a mpeg4 compatible dvd player.

5. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I have to second ConvertXTODVD - you can throw anything at it and it'll burn you a DVD in three easy steps. Great program!

6. zfactor

trying it now thanks!!

7. Espresso

ConvertXToDVD doesn't use multiple cores which makes it a non-player in my book. You can't run a second encoding pass either.

8. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

9. zfactor

yeah took forever to convert a avi file to dvd video. i also had some skipping and the audio was also out of sync with the video. never had this issue with this file with nero 7.

looking at the last one posted.. never heard of them. anyone else use that program?

any othe recc's to look at? thanks for all the input..

10. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

11. stueycaster

stueycaster Registered Member

Tried WinDVD Creator 2---slow. Windvd Creator 3---even slower and acted up a lot.

Tried Nero 7---Buggy crappy bloatware. Stay right away from it.

Ended up having to reinstall Windows because of switching back and forth, trying out these three. :mad: :thumbd:

ConvertXtoDVD---yes, finally. Does a 2 hour movie in just a little over an hour on my XP x64 system. :D :thumb:

I have to say it. Use the Xvid codec rather than Divx. It does video a lot better.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2007
  12. zfactor

wow took a loooong time for me when converting and i have a c2d....

13. zfactor

well i clened up the system and re-installed convertxtodvd and ran it through once and this time it seemed to produce a good image and no skipping. the audio is still sort of tinny in a way compared to nero vision. nero vision the voices sound proper where this one sounds sort of hollow in a way??

14. Espresso

Convertx2DVD is single threaded so it'll take nearly twice as long as DVDFlick or DIKO, both which are freeware.

MPEG4 players are cheap, so that's still your best option.

15. markymoo

zfactor Diko just a frontend. The HC encoder is what does the donkey work. I think you looking for something more simple.

16. zfactor

tell me more about this hc decoder? will it make the picture better.. the one thing about the convert2dvd is the picture seems very pixelated in a way and it tends to freeze frame a lot then continue playing.. otherwise it only took 31 min to convert a 1hr 20min movie to dvd.. not to bad imo.. but id like better quality. nero vision was FAR BETTER picture quality when i tested both side by side of the same avi file converted to dvd.. alo no jitters in the nero conversion

im looking for a easy conversion program but with excellent picture quality which nero gave me but without being so massive on the system.. the size of nero does not bother me its simply how invasive it is after being installed

17. zfactor

i use a denon dvd player that cost me a small fortune.. i dont really want to replace it at this point and i dont see the need for 2 players in my console

anyone tried dvdflick?? it looks pretty awesome..

Last edited: Dec 25, 2007
  18. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Well, you don't have to spend a fortune to get a quality universal player like this one :)

19. zfactor

but the problem still would exist if i want to let someone else view the dvd and their player is not compliant.. know what i mean?? i dont mind buying another one but like my mother in law and others are not going to go out and get another one..

20. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

That's too bad you're running into those skipping and audio-sync problems with ConvertXTODVD. I've used it on my system for quite some time and have never run into that problem. I have a 6600 dual-core @2.4GHz, 3GB ram, and a NVidia GeForce 7600 GT video card.

What about DVD Santa? Don't know a lot about it, but many people swear by it.

21. markymoo

The encoders that are in many shareware programs are not so great. The options are limited and they treat all movies the same way when each movie has been encoded different and crop the picture area the same way. Tmpgenc is a good one but the HC encoder surpasses that. Cinecraft encoder is $2000 and Hc encoder is equal if not better and is free. Diko will work with several encoders including cce. If the divx movie has been encoded with a unusual mp3 bitrate then not even the best can make it sync properly. The way to fix audio sync problems is easy thats to extract the sound from the movie first to wav then encode it again. Doing 2 pass encoding gives you better quality than 1 pass and as Hc encoder so fast with quality you can do 2 pass. Its all made easy by using Diko which looks at your movie and crops and optimizes it best without you needing to know all the complex settings.

Heres little guide to encode divx for the best results.

Download Diko 2.34
    http://www.vmesquita.com/forum/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item31

install and run Diko, select configuration in Diko
    select Pal, select tab Video 1 and select HC encoder, select 2 passes
    click Ok to close, select New Conversion and select Add Video Files and select your movie
    click Finish then OK then Start conversion Now.

If you pick more than 1 movie when you add video files it will encode and resize so they all fit on 1 dvd. You can fit 2-3 films on 1 dvd with great quality.

22. Espresso

Um, you can get a MPEG4 compatible p-scan player for $30-40 that will play almost anything you throw at it. No need to spend over $200.

23. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Well, you can get a MPEG-4 player for a really low price, but if you see the features of that player (OPPO DV-981HD) it isn't your common el cheapo player :)

24. markymoo

a graphics card will blow any top end dvd player away like that and will auto upscale standard dvds to high definition. theres a review on toms hardware. the benchmark test of budget gfx beat $4000 dvd players. You can build a Home Theatre Pc for about £250 which will beat all and still be quiet. it give you internet radio, divx, record dvd, HD and browse the web all from a remote and if you get a dual tv tuner can record (1 touch recording) off 1 digital channel while watching another and not to mention networking to your main pc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.