best AV for Slow Pc (wow it rhymes)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tempnexus, Mar 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tempnexus

tempnexus Registered Member

How is panda on resources. I am planning on using an OLD pC 500 Mhz with 256 mb or ram and I wan the most reponsive antivirus.
    Should I go with:
    Free Panda Plat 7
    Free CA eTrust
    Nod32 (not free so not the first option)
    AVG

Which will offer the best overall protection (AV and AT) with minimal resource usage on a slow system?

2. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

FWIW, I had my Mom's old pc (I can't remember if it was a 266 or 333 Mhz !) running AVG free. It ran just fine until she decided she needed a faster pc to play solitare! :p The only concern with AVG is that it may not offer the best detection available - not necessarily my opinion, but a common opinion nonetheless.

My guess is that NOD32 will also run fine on your machine. YMMV.

I think the question is easy to answer until you specify what else you want to run on your 500Mhz machine. Only then will you know how serious your resource issues are.

Regards
    Optigrab

3. Barney

Barney Registered Member

Tempnexus, with a system like yours I would go with either of the following antivirus programs:

1. F-prot
    2. DRWEB
    3. Nod32

These are about the lightest antivirus programs you can buy. F-Prot is the lightest in my opinion. Good luck with your choice.
    :)

Barney

4. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

All excellent AV's but none of them are free, as I believe was tempnexus's preference.

5. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Before you choose one, you have to ask yourself what are you planning to do with that PC.
    Maybe you can run it without a scanner or just an "on demand" scanner which runs on specified times.

Gerard

6. Ailric

Ailric Guest

Out of the virus scanners you have mentioned and your preferences, I would definitely give Panda a try. It has very good detection ratings, a firewall built-in that is made by Sygate and is fully automatic. Lots of options and very nice interface. I would call it medium in resource usage.

AVG is probably the lightest of the one's you have mentioned. Detection record? Unknown.

F-Prot for Windows has an excellent track record of detection and is one of the lowest resource users there is. Dr. Web and NOD32 are probably second and third in resource usage and also have very good detection records.

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am running panda platinium 7 and it seems to run fairly light on resources. And its on demand scanner is very fast. Daily updates.

8. -JSa-

-JSa- Guest

F-prot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.