Best AV for a new computer user

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by smush, Apr 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smush

smush Registered Member

Hi, a family member of mine has recently bought a laptop and since they have never used one so far, I will need to teach them. They are waiting to be connected to the internet. This got me thinking about AVs, I use Avira premium because of it's high detection rate (and consistancy) but I don't think this would be suited to the new user because of the many FP's and a fair bit of user interaction when it finds a suspicious file.
    So what I am asking is does anyone know of an AV (that includes anti-spyware) most suited to a new user. Which would mean few FP's and as little user interactin as possible with a simple UI. With this said it must also be very good at detection and if necessary, virus removal?

Thank you for the help.

2. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Norton AntiVirus 2009 with Tracking Cookies and Low-risks set to automatic removal. Will make the most simple operation IMO. Also decent protection.

It's my personal first-choice, and I'm a fairly advanced user (I personally think I'm, but I don't know what other people think :p). I run it with those settings as well as it's even proven more effective (!). If you want I can quote a post that I made at the official Norton forum why it's actually also more effective at removal on those settings. ;)

Norton is great at removing malware it finds. I won't go into details, but I've clearly seen that in my testing when testing different products - it's a clear advantage.

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

based on what you are asking, F-Secure

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thread is closed per Policy. Please read through the forums for existing comments on various anti-malware products.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.