Best approach to resize 3 partitions

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by sfcpc, Aug 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sfcpc

sfcpc Registered Member

Hi All!

I have a 120 GB drive with 3 Fat32 partitions. Today I created images of all three partitions and then restored them to the same drive and locations but changed the size of each drive (two smaller, one larger) - these restorations were done sequentially without any reboots (all from my True Image boot CD). When I rebooted, I got a message that windows couldn't find system32\hal.dll. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get the system to boot.

Thanks to this forum I was able to restore the ability of my XP partition to boot, but when I examined the drive with Disk Management, I found that 27 GB was still unallocated . I had intended to create to 20 GB system partitions (XP and Win9:cool: and a ~75 GB data drive - I first shrank two restores and then expaned the last but apparently only 50 GB seemed to be available.

What's the best approach to getting the larger partition? Do I need to delete or somehow change the unallocated space? Should I reformat the drive and start fresh (all images are new)? Please note that the drive was first set up with Win98, and then I added two additonal partitions (XP and data). Since I now mostly boot from XP, would there be a benefit to using XP as the first partition? Could there be complications?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Last edited: Aug 17, 2005
  2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Steve,

It's a bit long winded without partition management software but the following procedure should recover the unallocated space:

1. Start TI and use the Manage Acronis Secure Zone Wizard to create a temporary Secure Zone (SZ).
    2. On the "Disk Selection" screen select the drive that contains your unallocated space and click "Next".
    3. On the next screen, again select the drive that contains the unallocated space and then click "Next".
    4. Create a SZ of about 15GB in size by moving the slider accordingly. Click "Next".
    5. Select the option "Do not activate Acronis Startup Recovery Manager" and then click "Next" followed by "Proceed". Depending on where the SZ was created, Windows may need to reboot to complete the creation.
    6. Once the SZ has been created, use the Manage Acronis Secure Zone Wizard to remove the SZ.
    7. In the "Redistributing Space" screen select the partition that you want to give the space to and then click "Next" followed by "Proceed". TI will then probably reboot and remove the SZ.
    8. After finally rebooting into Windows, right click on "My Computer", select "Manage" > "Disk Management" and check that the unallocated space has been reassigned to your chosen partition/disk.

Regards

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello sfcpc,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that Acronis True Image 8.0 is not a partition management software.

In case you want to create a new partition layout on your hard drive it is better to use special software such Acronis Disk Director Suite 9.0.

Please note that Acronis Disk Director Suite 9.0 also includes a powerful Boot Manager which allows you to create and manage multiboot environment on your PC.

We recommend you to download and install the free trial version of Acronis Disk Director Suite 9.0 to see how the software works on your computer.

You can also find more information on how to use this software in the respective User's Guide.

Please visit Acronis online store to purchase the full version of the product.

Please also note that we have a flexible system of discounts and the amount of the discount varies depending on the number of copies you want to purchase.

In case you are planning to purchase many copies, please contact our Sales Team at sales@acronis.com.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

4. sfcpc

sfcpc Registered Member

Thanks Menorcaman!

Following that approach would I end up with a discontinuous partition and, if so, is that an issue?

Thanks Alexey:

I will look at the software but was hoping to find a solution that didn't requre an additional purchase (this only came up because I was using True Image according what it's listed capabilities are).

Without purchasing software, what would I need to do?

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi Steve,

I'm not sure I fully understand your question. Please explain.

I suggest you try the above procedure ;).

Regards

6. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, sfcpc

To make your Unallocated space the full Partition or HDD size use the DiskPart command.

If you do not not know, you will find it in the Disk Management help file
    My Computer>Manage>Help>Help Topics>Disk Management>Concepts>Using Disk Management>Managing disks and volumes from the command line.

No software needed.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.