Best "anti spyware"

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by n8chavez, Mar 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I was recently readibg reviews and download.com, which I understand isn't the best place to get advice seing as how they are biased, and I saw that SpyCleaner Gold had very good ratings from both the reviewer and users. My choice was between SpyCleaner Gold and Spyware Doctor. Since SPC was cheaper I went with that. I scanned my system and it found some stuff that others, namely Adware SE, S&D, M$oft (giant), didn't find or clean. I have another drive on my sysytem that I thought was infected. I scannefd that and found only cookies. Just for kicks, I decided to try Spware Doctor and it found 32 different things. I mention that to SPC and was told that sometimes things are found to make it look like they are superior products. According to spyware warrior, http://www.spywarewarrior.com/, SPC is listed as rougue (they tested the free version)

Has anyone had expierence with SPC?

2. flanders

flanders Guest

Has anyone tried spyware subtract ? Compaq recommended it and it seems to find things,but I'm not sure it's the greatest.

3. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

looking at your sig...the things missing imho is spybot, m$ antispyware, ewido/a2 (cause those two are free antitrojans...)

and why not upgrading to pg3?

4. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

m$ antispyware is actually fairly good . That is only an opinion . I am surprised . I figured anything those idiots get a hold of will be ruined . Not yet though . I don't think so anyway

5. Infinity

they have some time...still beta...all finished products are worse then their beta's...just a possibility:)

I find it too not bad at all, still using giant here...

6. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Giant was great so , that is what I am asking here . How good will it be now that MS has it .? I figure they will screw it up as they usually do with anything they touch .

7. Infinity

no prbs, I wonder it myself.

they have some serious plans regarding internet security...I am curious though. not necesseraly negative but heading towards your direction.

Inf.

8. KERANO

KERANO Guest

I think that running SpySweeper and MS-Antispyware is enought for system.

SpySubtract is nod bad too but its not good as ones mentioned above. SpySubtract does not have real time shield, it can just detect a spyware and offer you full scan to clean the system.

9. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

I've been running various anti-spyware apps, currently running MS AntiSpyware Beta.

One seldom-mentioned attribute of MS AS is that the memory load (10+MB) for it's real-time scanner is much lighter than others I've used (Spy Sweeper and SpywareDoctor).

10. Infinity

true gud4u, very true. not bad at all those 10mb in mem.

11. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Where do I have to look for those Mb usage?

Another question is: Do I need still Spybot SS&D?

Gerard

Attached Files:

• ms.gif
      ms.gif
      File size:
      11.1 KB
      Views:
  12. Infinity

Hi Gerard , regarding the place where to look for the megabites in memory you can find it in the screenie

regarding spybot... I use it still but not on access anymore, the internet security (sdhelper) is still on but teatimer isn't in my systray anymore so yes they can be used together and spybot will offer some more tools then just a spyware scanner imho.

Inf.

13. gerardwil

Hi,

Sorry I didn't make myself clear enough. If I look in Proces Explorer MS AS is only using 5.4 Mb here.

Regarding the S-S&D question: all the tools in SSD I have already in several other progs as well which make me think I don't need S-S&D anymore at all.

Regards,

Gerard

14. Infinity

do you have all your security agents enabled Gerard? are you using the spynet feature? those are the main resource hoggers I see at my own copy. if you have everything enabled then I guess you are lucky and I hope it will stay that way.
    Can you do me a favour? go to your taskmanager and select the column (in view) virtual memory. Can you give us that? this to be honest far more important then the memory we are showing at the moment. (maybe your 5mb isn't the average per second and you have checked the different memusage = verschil in geheugen gebruik)

you can use it as an on demand scanner? like I do. the sdhelper isn't using any resources at all so I keep it on...it is up to you...the way you state it: yes you can disable spybot if you like. you should be covered anyway.

15. gerardwil

I have checked all 59 checkpoints. I didn't have spynet on, but in the attached screenshot I have. This screenshot is the one you mentioned?

Gerard

Attached Files:

• ms.gif
      ms.gif
      File size:
      19 KB
      Views:
  16. Infinity

I guess you are one of the lucky ones Gerard, consider yourself a happy man :)

17. MushfiQ

MushfiQ Registered Member

Speaking of AS....have anyone tried the McAfee AS ? havents heard anything abt it though!

18. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Page 84 of the Feb 22, 2005 edition of PC Magazine gave McAfee 1½ stars out of 5. It was the lowest ranked of all the AntiSpy stuff they rated.

They tested the *prevention effectiveness* of various AS against only 10 nasties. Results (number caught)...
    AdAware 5, Counterspy 5, PestPatrol 8, McAfee 3, SBS&D 9, SpySubtract 7, Spysweeper 10, Spyware Doctor 10.

For *cleaning* they used 24 nasties. The scores...
    Adaware 17, Counterspy 16, PestPatrol 16, McAfee 7, SBS&D 13, SpySubtract 18, Spysweeper 23, Doctor 18.

As always, the objectivity, small size, & *scientific purity* of tests by a commercial magazine must be taken with a grain of sodium chloride. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.