Best ADSL router/firewall for wired connection ?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Defenestration, Jun 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

It seems that wired-only (ie. not wireless) routers/firewalls are not really made now, and the price of the one's I've seen is comparable to a wireless one so I will probably end up going for a wireless one (although will be disabling the wireless feature)

I'm after a good cheap firewall/router to replace my USB Speedtouch modem. I'm considering the Linksys WRT54GS-UK

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/250537

but would like to get advice and suggestions from other people on this forum.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have used Linksys routers for years and have never had a problem with them. I don't think you can go wrong with one.

bigc

actually I still have my first one and my sister is useing it after three years and it is still going strong :thumb:

3. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

Just realized the linksys I mentioned does not include a modem. Do you know of a similar model whic hhas a built-in modem ?

Also, how would I connect my current USB Speedtouch modem to the Linksys router ?

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

5. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Hi Defenestration,

I just purchased a Buffalo Nfiniti Wireless-N Router and Access Point WZR-G300N and it's awesome. You can use wired ethernet for desktop or wireless for notebook.

It's very easy to set up and the FW is by far the most configurable. If you don't want any of the new Draft-N products they do have many others. The new Draft-N with adapter you get 270Mbps. I have mine running with ZASS and it detected the Router immediately.

Tech support was excellent and I got a two year warranty. You can buy a two and three year extended warranty that starts after the manufacturers warranty is up. So it could be covered for 4-5 years.

I noticed the link you posted is U.K. so I'm assuming you live in U.K. Buffalo doesn't offer one with a modem in U.S but the Buffalo U.K site does as other U.K sites do.

Since I seen your post I thought I would offer my experience with Buffalo.
    http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/by-make/b/buffalo/wireless-routers

http://www.bizrate.co.uk/bridges_routers/products__keyword--buffalo%20wireless%20routers.html

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.