Benign

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by spy1, Mar 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Just thought I'd post (for anyone interested) that I'm trying out this new program and that it looks pretty interesting and seems to have a lot of potential.

Noticed it while I was checking on the new MW stuff. You can read about it here: http://www.firetrust.com/products/benign/ , and XZ is hosting the forum for it here: http://www.computercops.biz/forum54.html&sid=97d9a33f98d144a1658e331ee40b88c7 .

Now, you'll definitely want to note the fact that there are apparently some problems with the current release (See the "Hello" thread in that forum) before trying it (a complete program lock-up after trying to change settings, un-installing doesn't return your email settings to how you had them before installing Benign - you have to change them back manually - and, once you install the program, you must have Benign running to either send or receive email).

But the program is interesting (although not free), and I really like the information it provides in the various fields/screens.

But don't fool with it unless you're willing to put up with the current problems - I'll keep you posted when things get better. Pete

Attached Files:

2. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

I might also add that it's apparently not conflicting with anything listed in my sig (or anything not listed in my sig, either!) - I'm wondering if the problems related in that thread at CC are affecting all OS's or just XP. Pete

Attached Files:

3. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

There's the sig it adds (remarkably enough, it doesn't cancel or get jumbled up with NOD's). Pete

Attached Files:

4. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Pete,

Interesting indeed! Having a glance at the home page, I just wonder why not installing for example an email client being able to cope with fairly all of these issues? The Bat! surely does - more value for approx the same price?

regards.

paul

5. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Also have noticed (using Port Explorer) that Benign opens port 110 - a simple ShieldsUp Port Probe verifies that. (NOD doesn't do that for some reason). Pete

Attached Files:

6. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Also, if you'll glance back up at that first screenshot, I had to grin when I saw that Benign blocked some of it's own stuff from the Quick-Start email (right under that entry I had high-lighted where eTrust's email had four things blocked - what's up with that, I wonder?).

(That's part of what I meant by "interesting"). Pete

7. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Okay, rusticdog sent me a fix for the program lock-up problem that worked (program no longer locks up when you try to change settings after clicking the "Apply" button) - but for some reason I still can't get the "High" setting to stick - Options/"Security profiles" screen - (even after selecting "High" from the drop-down menu and clicking "Apply") - the program reverts to "Medium" setting in all three categories (Message/HTML/Web-bugs) both when closing/re-opening the "Options" screen and/or when closing/opening the entire program.

So - progress! Pete

8. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Okay, the last problem wasn't a program glitch - it was confusion about where to change the setting.

"Under the Accounts tab, this is where you change what particular Security Profile you wish to use against that account. Just highlight the account and click Modify."

That's where you change the setting for the whole program to "High".

Between the patch and the explanation, the program is now functioning correctly.

The open port 110 was due to the fact that I had given Benign "Trusted App" status in my firewall - as soon as I changed it to "Partially Trusted" (with "email client" rules), port 110 wasn't showing anymore. Pete

9. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

I like it. :) And if one had donated in the past to mailwasher it only costs $9.95 for Benign. mailwasher is a free lifetime upgrade . I have always felt comfortable with Mailwasher and having both is an extra safe precaution at a very nice price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.