Benefits of wiping a drive prior to an install

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by steve161, Nov 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

When distro hopping through linux, I will occasionally do a wipe with dban. I like my HD to be clean and tidy(?), and I get the impression that the installs are smoother on a wiped drive. But, besides from the file recovery issue, is there any concrete, articulable benefits to wiping? Is it any better than just deleting partitions?

2. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Why ?

When you install a new Distro it formats the drive unless you override that function.

3. steve161

Some seem to think there is some added benefit other than permanently deleting old files or killing that pesky malware that somehow survives a reformat. But since I dual boot, I usually at least do delete the old partition then set up the new one's manually. Makes me feel smart.

4. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Well I wouldn't want you to feel anything other than....besides I thought you were smart when you tried Linux :D

What maleware is there in Linux o_O and what malware in windows survives a format ?

IMHO, if you're doing alot of Distro hopping then use VM or Live CD's untill you finally decide on the one to install.

5. steve161

I was attempting to be facetious.

I do have it down to 2 distros now. But I still like to occasionally do fresh installs due to the tidy thing mentioned in my first post. I also have a zenwalk cd and dreamlinux cd calling out my name from my file cabinet. I'm weak.

6. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

I use Secure Erase HDDerase and Active@killdisk. Reasons are some data protection regs and complete malware sanitization. Some of the PDFs from CMRR maybe interesting and useful to some.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.