benchmark Linux Mint Maya & Win 7

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by moontan, Jul 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moontan

moontan Registered Member

test machine:
    * 2X Intel (R) Pentium (R) D CPU 2.80 Ghz, 32 bits
    * video card: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT/PCIe/SSE2, 256 MB
    * 3 GB of RAM
    * Display: 1920 x 1080 pixels
    * Mint Maya Cinnamon
    --------------------------------------------
    i already did a test a couple of weeks ago involving Blender in WIn 7, Win 8 and Maya, where Maya was the clear winner.
    this was done using the Cycles render 'engine' which uses mostly the GPU to crunch the numbers to render the image.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2082394&postcount=23
    ----

gaming-wise, i get better framerates on Windows 7, but the same games are quite good on Maya also.
    (Starfarer, and Stellarium, which is not a game but a good test for this anyway).

the edge goes to Win 7 there.
    ----

next tests i will try is video as well as audio encoding, to test the CPU 'crunching' power, this time.
    it should be fairly easy to fin apps that work both in Windows and Linux for this.
    i will try also with the default Blender render engine which uses the CPU instead of the GPU, like the Cycles engine.
    ----

i just did a folder copy/paste test, a folders with files/folders totaling 18500 items with a total size of 3.6 GB.
    this was from a secondary internal drive to the main OS drive.

Windows 7 did the job in 4 minutes 35 seconds, Maya in 4 minutes 55 seconds.
    this is a small difference and not a big issue for me, as i rarely have to move large amount of data.
    what was surprising is the time Directory Opus took; 7 minutes and 07 seconds!
    i used this thing for the last few years and never thought about testing it until today.
    Duh!

i could have done similar tests, from and to an external USB hard drive and a USB key but my guess is that the differences between Maya and Win 7 would be small, as per the test above.
    thus mostly a boring waste of time.lol

i'll be busy for the next few days but i should have something by next week-end or so.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  2. I'm rather amazed that Linux outperforms Windows on any graphics test.

BTW... I know personal experience doesn't count for much, but mine is that Linux is faster in absolute terms (e.g. disk IO), but feels slower under heavy load. I figure this is because Linux (even on desktop distros) is basically optimized for servers, workstations, and high-end computers; it doesn't waste resources (and hamper overall performance) by throttling resource hogs, and there are lot of desktop-specific optimizations that Windows has and Linux doesn't.

Edit: the above is for Windows Vista and 7. Windows XP is faster than either... until it has one of its irritating random hangs, and stops responding for 30 seconds.

3. moontan

Jones,

i'm really looking forward to take the time for some CPU crunching tests, mainly audio and video encoding.

that will be the decisive factor for me and a good 'real-life' test.
    if the numbers are fairly similar i would be happy.

even more if it's a clear win for Maya. ;)

4. moontan

one more:

using Audacity, a sound editor.
    encoding a 46 minutes FLAC music file into a mp3 @ 320 kbps, constant bit-rate, joint stereo.

Windows 7: 5 minutes and 25 seconds
    Mint Maya: 4 minutes and 40 seconds.

that is over a 15% improvement for Maya.
    nice! :thumb:

5. moontan

and finally:

encoding a 18 minutes movie (mpeg to mpeg), using Handbrake...

Windows 7: 5 minutes 28 seconds
    Mint Maya: 5minutes 01 seconds.

an almost 10% edge there for Maya.

for what it's worth, these tests would show that Mint Maya holds up very well against Windows 7.

if you are an avid gamer, Windows performances are better.
    if you are an occasional gamer, then Mint might fit the bill quite nicely.

in day to day operations, Maya works very well on this 5 years old desktop computosaur.

all in all, i'm quite impressed with Maya.
    i like the overall look and feel.
    the built-in virtual monitor utility is awesome, methink. :)

6. moontan

i did say earlier i was gonna test Blender using the 'old' Blender renderer.

the results:

Win 7, 1 thread: 6 minutes 10 seconds
    Win 7 2 threads: 3 minutes 20 seconds

Mint Maya 1 thread: 6 minutes 24 seconds
    Mint Maya 2 threads: 3 minutes 26 seconds

these days, the way to go is to use the Cycles renderer, which produces much better results.
    in which case Maya is almost 100% faster than Windows. (read first post)
    ----

in a previous file/folder transfer test (first post) Windows 7 had a slight advantage over Maya copying files from the OS drive to another internal drive.

another test i did tonight was to copy 1 file, size 4 GB, to a USB key.
    the times:

Windows 7: 6 minutes 01 seconds, transfer speed: 11.8 MBps
    Mint Maya: 4 minutes 14 seconds, transfer speed: 16.3 MBps

a huge time saving using Maya, in this case. :)
    ----

it was important for me to test the performances of Maya; especially using an older machine like mine.
    if i am going to be using another OS i want to make sure i get performances at least similar to the one i came from.
    ----
    that concludes these tests.
    tnx for your patience. :)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  7. moontan

i just wanted the set the record straight because i was mistaken.

i have done more research this afternoon;
    the Cycles test in Blender i refered to in the first post of this thread was using the CPU and not the GPU like i previously believed.
    my NVIDIA card is too old to support CUDA, which is needed for GPU rendering.

still, Mint Maya was close to 100 % faster than Win 7 on that test, GPU or not. :)
    (exactly 100% on another test i did last night just to triple-check i was not mistaken)

sorry for the confusion folks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.