Belarc and "run dll as an app"

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by bluekey23, Apr 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluekey23

bluekey23 Registered Member

Hello,
    I have recently run across something unusual. I have had Belarc Adviser installed for a long time. In the past when I ran it, it simply opened up and displayed its normal page in browser. BUt recently, it will not open. What happens is ZA pops up and asks if I will grant permission to "run dll as an app to access Belarc." The application showing under tech info on the ZA tab is rundll32.exe.
    Can anyone shed some light on this?
    Thanks

WinXP sp1,2

2. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

I believe BelArc has been functioning that way all along - perhaps ZA is just now picking up on that fact due to an update or a change in your settings?

From ProcessGuard when you run BelArc Advisor:

19 Apr 10:24:15 - [EXECUTION] c:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe with commandline "c:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe" c:\progra~1\belarc\advisor\system\npbelv32.dll,rundll32_showlocalpage -p60 was ALLOWED to run
    19 Apr 10:24:27 - [EXECUTION] c:\program files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe with commandline "c:\program files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe" -nohome was ALLOWED to run

HTH Pete

3. rzz

rzz Guest

belarc uses rundll32.exe to get information about your computer (disk space, ram, processor information etc).

4. manOFpeace

manOFpeace Registered Member

I have had that problem for over a year now. I have asked at a few boards but never felt convinced by the reply. I stopped using it. I now stick with Aida32 which I believe is unavailabe although I think they have similar as a paid for version.(Perhaps under a different name). :blink:

5. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Well, I see nothing sinister about Belarc Advisor. I have used it for years on both my boxes. As for Aida32, yes that is no longer available but the author is now working for Lavalys and you can get Everest Home edition for free and it looks a lot like Aida....a bit better! I see there is a new edition with neat improvements over 1.0.
    http://www.lavalys.com/index.php?page=view&article=6&selcat=PN

http://www.lavalys.com/index.php?page=product&view=1

6. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

HI!
    I usually don't download just anything, but, I saw Belarc Advisor in Lockergnome, and figured it was OK!? It did show me some Hot Fixes that I thought were installed, but, were not,according to BA. Now, I am really wondering if I shouldn't just delete the whole thing, who else has had a GOOD experience with this? I just got IE working right for the first time in months, I really don't want a new problem!:( :doubt:

7. bluekey23

bluekey23 Registered Member

Hi,
    Thanks for all the nice, helpful replies.
    About my original query: I had used Belarc for some time and the "run dll..." alert tab had never come up before. So, when it did come up, I naturally got a bit suspicious. I guess this is okay as I have quite a bit of protection and nothing related to Belarc has ever come up in any scans. But just dl'd Everest and will see how that works.
    Comment: Every time I come hear I am more impressed by the helpfulness and knowledge of the posters. We have a lot to appreciate at Wilders!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.