Before repairing winsocks

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by grnemo, Oct 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grnemo

grnemo Registered Member

Almost in every problem report, i read here, everyone suggests to repair winsocks. Come on ppl. Winsocks are corrupted at very special circumstances. At 80% of the cases, this in not needed, and the problem's targets at something else. If winsocks are damaged you can hardly have internet access.

My suggestion:
    Before even think to "repair" winsocks, do the official test. Install the support command line tools from windows cd and run the
    netdiag /test:winsock command and after this is everything is success (most times) focus on other causes.
    or use netsh winsock reset command for SP2 users.

Dont spare your time with the same things over and over again. Pls.

From a devoted NOD32 user.

thx

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

No, Winsock can be damaged and the internet is available, but very slow. Repair is suggested in such instances, I've installed NOD32 so many times now I do know when to suggest repairing Winsock, as does Marcos and others who do the same.

Cheers :D

Last edited: Oct 22, 2006
  3. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    In a lot of cases...time is valuable. For a lot of us who work in IT for a living...being bogged down by having to spend time with further troubleshooting tools...is very inconvenient.

When sitting down at a malware infested machine...the XP Winsock repair utility from Snapfiles is one of the first things I run. If it wasn't needed...who cares...it took what..a whopping 15 seconds to browse to it on the thumb drive, a whopping 30 seconds to a minute or two to reboot the machine?

Lots of things can throw off TCP properties and values also...between malware, some tweaking utilities, uninstalling and installing various IPSec VPN clients over time, etc. Running the reset utils can help bring some TCP values back to normal.

I've yet to see where running a reset utility can actually cause harm to a machine.

4. Londonbeat

Londonbeat Registered Member

At the moment I can't upload any files to jotti, virustotal, or virus.org. (I can download files without a problem). Is this signs of a winsock problem and is it ok to use the LSP chain (winsock) fix in IMON setup even if I'm not 100% sure it's broken, or will this cause problems if it doesn't need fixing?

Cheers
    Londonbeat

5. Blackspear

Not really sure if this is the cause, but no harm in trying to repair Winsock, then repair IMON; see post number 40 HERE

Let us know how you go...

6. Londonbeat

Thx Blackspear, I've repaired winsock without any probs, it didn't fix the uploading file issue so something else must be causing it.

Cheers
    Londonbeat

7. Blackspear

Can you try uploading in another browser to see if it is browser specific.

8. Londonbeat

Yeah, it was happening with both firefox and IE, although strangely Ive just tried at virustotal (jotti's too busy) and it's worked fine.

Londonbeat

9. Blackspear

Keep an eye on it, it may simply have been a internet glitch.

Let us know how you go over time...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.