Been awhile

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by crazy_momza69, Dec 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crazy_momza69

crazy_momza69 Registered Member

Been a while. Computer crashed, nuked and reloaded (security programs) first. Wouldn't you know it that IE7 gave me spies up the gazoo. Is it possible to go back to IE 6? I use firefox most of the time anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2006
  2. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I don't see why you couldn't use older versions of any programs although software developers would not recommend it since the most recent updates are missing. I am using IE 5.5 and 6.0 currently.

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

IE7 is more secure than 6. So I suspect it's not the cause of your gazoo problems. ;)

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

more secure doesnt mean more stable IMO.
    quite a few people here have had problems with IE7.
    lodore

5. The Hammer

The OP is sighting a step up in security (IE6 to IE7) as the reason for sudden infections. Stability of the browser was never mentioned in the original post as the source of the crash. o_O I think more questions concerning the cause of both the crash and the infections need to be asked.

6. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

that greatly depends how much attention you paid to knot tying while a Boy Scout :D

Ive got IE6 hogtied with a noaccess.rat, NTFS permissions, and disabled ActiveX
    in other words its still in the OS rather than my ripping it out with XPlite or nLite becuase of webview and automatic updates.

of course if you meant to actually use.... you might be right, marginally
    but why would anyone that knows the horrible track record even still contemplate using IE?
    Why would a corporation make it such an integral part of the OS that it represented the prime attack vector?
    Or pimp a disaster waiting to happen in the form of activeX to a clueless public that will happily click on any damn button without reading it?
    (Click here if youd like a lobotomy, oops too late it appears youve already had one)
    ActiveX permission warnings should come with flashing lights designed to cause seizures and a siren that will scare small children and pets :cautious:

as my friend mosen would say
    IE is a sin against nature ;)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2006
  7. The Hammer

Ice Czar it would take a Microsoft Mvp guy to answer any technical arguments and I doubt, no I know the switch from 6 to 7 was not responsible for the OP's surge in malware.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2006
  8. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

To revert back to Internet Explorer 6, go to Add/Remove Programs,and remove Internet Explorer 7 it will revert back to its previous state :D

9. Ice_Czar

good thing that wasnt my point ;)

which was there are more secure alternatives
    and by more secure I mean:
    1. they have historically maintained a faster patch cycle for discovered exploits (ahead of in the wild employment)
    2. not being an integral part of the OS they have a less privileged level to attempt subversion
    3. they present less return on investment to malware developers
    4. they dont employ or readily limit dangerous protocols
    5. they have historically had a default install that is more secure
    6. they have historically had more advanced features now copied by IE7

most anyone that tossed IE out the airlock 3 years ago hasnt been bothered much by adware, spyware or other more malicious browser exploits.

sorry the siren call will go unheeded by those that remember what a pain in the butt IE made their computing. While the current infection may or may not be related (we don't know because we dont have enough information to determine that) the "root question" of the OP was how to revert and indirectly how to secure.

how to secure IE7 & 6 Ive posted above
    how to surf safely would be
    http://www.sandboxie.com/ + http://www.opera.com/
    or
    http://www.knoppix.org/ (as a LiveCD session)
    or
    http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/ + https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/722/ w\ http://www.sandboxie.com/ for extra protection

if you must use IE use a sandbox or virtualization, and preferably some or all the restrictions listed above
    competent people can config it to be secure, unfortunately that seems to leave the majority of the world with a historically dangerous browser
    and those that fail to learn from history are generally doomed to repeat it

10. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Very true! I switched our small office to Firefox a little over 2 years ago and we have not had any issues since. (Of course, we do more to keep bad things out than just surf with FF.) Before the switch, I couldn't make that statement...

11. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

LMAO at MVP comment.. you know that MVP is just a badge for being helpful to MS, its not even a qualification :D?

12. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Now a badge like Novell Certified Professional could be nice. I considered going to my university for a course, but got a new job, got promoted, no time. Will do it hopefully later this year. Full 3 months of compiling and stuff. Sounds nice.
    Mrk

13. The Hammer

Helpful implies you would have to know something to be of use and I suspect they aren't given out like candy , otherwise you could get one.;) http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/mvpexecsum And statements about integrating the browser into the OS and the way active x works and dangerous protocols are technical. But it's interesting how the original posters comments as to the cause of his problems have gotten lost. The thread isn't about IE7 vs Firefox vs Opera etc.

14. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Thanks....that is very true and we'll now get back to the thread starters original challenge....how to go back to IE 6 after IE7 install.

We'll also discontinue the side comments\discussion concerning the MS MVP program.

Thanks,
    Bubba

15. Ice_Czar

think DVD+R pretty much nailed that one but there is the manual procedure
    (of various betas)
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/aa740486.aspx

* Go to Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/View - Enable the Show Hidden Files and Folders.
    * Go to Start Menu/Run paste the following code & press enter(check the exact path in your windows folder)
    o %windir%\$NtUninstallie7bet2p$\spuninst\spuninst.e xe
    OR
    o %windir%\$NtUninstallie7bet2$\spuninst\spuninst.ex e
    OR
    o %windir%\ie7beta3\spuninst\spuninst.exe
    * One other way to do is to manually navigate to the path shown above and click on spuninst.exe.

address variants being
    * %windir%\ie7beta3\spuninst\spuninst.exe.
    * %windir%\$NtUninstallie7beta1$\spuninst\spuninst.exe.
    * %windir%\$NtUninstallie7bet2p$\spuninst\spuninst.exe.
    * %windir%\$NtUninstallie7b2pmx$\spuninst\spuninst.exe.
    * %windir%\$NtUninstallie7beta2$\spuninst\spuninst.exe.
    not sure exactly where the "official" release address would be
    (some of you may have gathered Im not using IE7 :D)

or the uninstall for a specific user fails

Internet Explorer 7 Fails to Uninstall from Specified User Account

If you see an error message saying that you cannot uninstall Internet Explorer 7 from this user account, you can bypass the check by following these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then press ENTER.
    2. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer.
    3. Right-click the Internet Explorer key, click New, and then click DWORD value.
    4. Type InstalledByUser as the name, and then press ENTER to finish creating the new registry value.
    5. Try to uninstall Internet Explorer 7 again.

then of course you can actually remove internet explorer altogether with XPlite (actually does XP\W2K) or nLite which is freeware and requires .NET framework or framework lite (last entry)
    as mentioned however that would mean youd need to manually download patches off Technet or use a third party like WindizUpdate not to mention loosing some webview functionality (alot of the useful info and previews that appear in the left panel of Windows Explorer, even more cool once you mod the htt and insert your own graphics and preferred info).

you know I think that how to uninstall IE might be one of my favorite subjects :D

and a pic of the noaccess.rat in action

http://i13.tinypic.com/490zehx.jpg

Last edited: Dec 30, 2006
  16. crazy_momza69

crazy_momza69 Registered Member

Wow, now I really know how much I've enjoyed this site! Not only are you guys nuts, but your smart too!! I know I've got a problem, because ad-aware took out cool web search, but whatever got in broke my spybot (the true target)! IE7, it only took 2 clicks before all this bullshit started. Never had a problem with firefox.

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

remember just by visiting a site in internet explorer 6 or 7 can mean you get tons of crap installed.
    thats why i use firefox with no script.
    i use a hosts file for when my dad uses the pc because he uses IE7=D
    lodore

18. Ice_Czar

now now now
    its your own fault if you dont change the default homepage from MSN
    to something benign :D

19. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

To get back to IE6 just delete IE7. The way it was explained to me is that IE6 is actually part of XP's OS & can't be removed, therfore IE7 is an update, & removing it leaves you with 6.

Happy New Year
    Rico

20. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

true, IE is deeply integrated into Windows, but using XPlite or nLite, it is possible to remove part or all of it.
    that is correct

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.