Be Honest not Biased to This Question if You Can

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by DVD+R, Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

OK! I have open on my screen the webpage for SuperAntiSpyware, and Ready to Click BUY Professional with Lifetime Subscription :cautious: I also have the Download link to Install Spy Sweeper to which my subscription ends in 2009.

Ive installed KIS 6.0.2 and it plays very nice with Vista Ultimate, I had and still have a valid subscription to NOD32 but Februarys AVComparatives not giving NOD a Advanced + this time around, swayed me to KIS 6.0.2

Before I decide Please be 100% Honest, and tell me if SUPERAntiSpyware can live up to Spy Sweepers Detection, and more importantly Removal of the Nastiest Spyware, as Spy Sweeper has as far as I know the Best Detection and the Best at Removing Nasties/Hijackers/Trojans Etc like LopDotCom and Rootkits.

Please dont Reply to this if your in the habit of changing your software more times than you change your socks, I want replys from people who have installed it,and stayed with it, or Installed it and threw it out.

Secondly will SAS spring to life and tell me changes to my host file are being made by a software installing or Nasties trying to install.

Will SAS Block Dangerous Websites
    Does SAS Have a Internet Explorer Shield Like Soy Sweeper
    Or a Keylogger Shield

As I say be honest, and dont answer just because you think Spy Sweeper is a resource hog, Because I can tell you right now, the Hog if you compare the CPU usage on Vista Ultimate is SAS

Windows Vista Task Manager Reports

SpySweeper.exe 2.136k
    SpySweeperUI.exe 1.226k

SuperAntiSpyware 30,227k

I'm not looking at who has the best resource, but clearly its obvious, I am considering a change though because Spy Sweeper Scans Really Slowley with KIS (1hr 16mins) with NOD it takes (18mins)

Then why do I want to change you ask? Well simple answer is I want to know which of the 2, considering everything I wrote Do you consider the Best

By the way, the resource stats are taken from SAS Forums, and poster asked a similar Question,but Nobodies dared to answer him yet.:rolleyes:

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Re: Be Hones not Biased to This Question if You Can

Hi DVD+R

WIll either of them do 100%, probably not. I did switch, based on a resource issue, but I don't really care about the memory numbers, I have more then enough memory. What made me decide was Spysweeper although using less memory, really made my computers sluggish. SAS doesn't, although now I actually don't run either real time, unless I am going into dodgy surfing mode.

Pete

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Re: Be Hones not Biased to This Question if You Can

Hello,

All I can tell:

I tried and tested both for quite a while:

SuperAntiSpyware runs smoother, faster, never had FP with it.
    SpySweeper is much heavier and offers a fair bit of FP. I also do not approve of their recent marketing decisions.

If that's your choice, go with SAS.

As to the security, both should do well, but I cannot confirm this as spyware is not really an issue for me.

Mrk

4. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

DVD+R

Keep on using your paid antispyware I had SpySweeper it is good. Replace your AntiSpyware program with a SandBox. GeSWall Pro will be out on Vista 64 bits soon.

Sandboxes like GeSWall/DefenseWall/Sandboxie etc have a 95% protection rate. No AntiSPyware programs can match that.

Besides this fact, the architecture of Vista makes it less vulnarable to the weaker malware treaths (like Spyware)

So in my opinion you do not need an AntiSPyWare program, but a sandbox.

:thumb:

5. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

The agony of choice!

"....to Install Spy Sweeper to which my subscription ends in 2009."

1st I have SS 5.3 and XP sp2 not vista and have had it for 3-4 years now.
    I have never used SuperAntiSpyware so can't comment from experience on it.

Compare these 2 yourself (recommended) trial it 1st with SS un-installed.
    Then do the same with SAW gone and SS installed.

You have time on this there is no hurry. Never let a vendor rush you into a deal based on some sort of sale or time limit of their choosing.

I have found SS a strong product with it's RK finder and shields. As to FP's I have yet to see one but I'd rather have those than miss one. They all miss some.

If you don't want to compare and use views from here I would go with SS, you have paid for it.

As to scan speed, if that is an issue, turn off the SS AV active since you have other AV's right for active. You can use SS's AV as an extra on demand once a month or so. There may be other ways to speed up your PC to check out. Vista is on so is it a new computer with it or did you just upgrade to it?

For me effectiveness in preventing and then detecting and removing is more important than speed. Heck you could always scan at night while sleeping right?

6. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: hi, DVD+R; this is could be a bit off topic, but if this approach has not been understood by you, it needs to be discussed( :) just copying your line ). Try Prevx1 (vista compatiable yet?) paid and coupled with virtualization app, such as shadowuser, power shadow(freeware) or deep freeze. Then keep SAS free and your SW paid for on demand scanner only. IMO, when you arm your box w/ prevx1, most of malwares can be effectively dealt with (of course, my own hand-on experiences), and virtualization apps just make it even sweeter. Just for you to entertain. Have a nice one.

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

try both at separate times to see what you like more.
    i have both on my PC they are both on demand thou since i dont think spyware is much of an issue atm.
    in the little time i have used superantispyware i havent really had any issues with it.
    with spysweeper ive been using it since version 3.0 3.0 was great 3.5 was great so was 4.0. 4.5 caused some problems e.g. conflict with f-secure which i used to use. 4.5 aslo had a problem with the favorites shield and a few other shields.
    5.0 was horrible and caused tons of bsod. 5.2 wasnt much better and caused quite a few bsod.
    5.3 isnt to bad infact but causes a bsod if having all shields active when you close IE7 at least on windows XP.
    so 5.3 is definatly better than 5.2 and i hope they fix the bsod with IE7 closing bug.
    hope this helps.
    im some ways im glad ive kept spysweeper since most of the bugs have been fixed in 5.3 except one bluescreen that i can recreate.
    lodore

8. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Let me answer your question with a question. How much does it cost to renew SS, and is it cheaper to renew for 2 years. If the answer is about $15 my advise would be to Buy the SAS for your real time and renew SS for on demand scans. You probably want 2 or 3 antispyware apps anyway. :D

9. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

SuperAntiSpyware is all that and more I have successfully used it to clean my box which I intentionally infect with live malware and trojans for testing purposes. :)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  10. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

Consider the 'Lifetime Subscription' offer and remember what happened to Ewido lifetime licences.......

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi, Why don,t u use SS on demand with free SAS on-demand. KIS might be enough in real time.

12. fcukdat

fcukdat Registered Member

:thumb: all that and the proverbial bag of chips:D

So far it is the only botkiller that i have tested that can detect and remove both Rustock A's and B's once they have loaded.No small feet considering over half the ARK tools on the web are blind to them
    :eek:

13. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

That's exactly right.

My Ewido lifetime license now has me an AVG lifetime license and I could not be happier.

The two products (Ewido and WinPatrol) for which I've purchased lifetime licenses -- they are great. Both have paid off and both continually improve.

There was even a recent thread on wanting to purchase an Ewido lifetime license now...

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=163169

Of course buying a lifetime license is always a gamble, but it makes me interested in checking it out...

14. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I have considered that theory,and for this reason I decided to keep what I have and save my money,and set my Weekly Scan at 10:00PM on Fridays, when I'm watching the Late Movie :shifty:

15. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Sounds like a plan! Don't forget to run some on demands from time to time since (as everyone knows no single product finds them all)

Good luck

16. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

I would nerev trust in security software claims that its license is lifetime. User support, constant updates, new OS support requires money, money and one more time money. For example, I had to buy new computer to install Vista x32 (that costs money too!) to start DefenseWall compatibility work. If software license is lifetime- it means that only nerw users will pay for it! But what wil hapends if there will be not enought new users to pay for programmer's work?

17. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Ilya - For the life of me I don't know.

18. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

They Go Bust and Get Taken Over by a Big Conglomorate Company Broker such as Myself :D :cool:

19. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Lifetime license does not come to us too often, aside from its initiative(for whatever the reasons are), as long as its cost is equivalent to or less than its two-year fee, I will grasp it, especially a solid app such as SAS pro, I will give a shelf-life of 2-3 years before the major thing evolves. Have a nice day.

20. gates

gates Registered Member

I can't say much about spy sweepper, but when you purchase SAS you don't get only good scanner, you get also first rate support thanks to Nick and his team!

-gates

21. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

That's a great point - I wish more users would take that point of view - we offer lifetime licenses as some users request that option. We have a percentage of users opt for the lifetime license, but a larger percentage that do not, so that allows us to have recurring revenue to keep updating the product.

Updating the definitions daily, and keeping up to date with the latest operating systems and spyware is a full time job, for a team of developers.

22. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

You're splitting hairs over a couple of percentage points. After looking at the detailed results it appears that NOD32 barely missed the Advanced+ ranking.

KAV failed to detect all polymorphics whereas NOD & NAV detected all 12. :) Don't base your purchasing decision around a single comparitive, or better yet simply around the detection rate alone. When it comes time for the AV-Comparitive proactive tests KAV should fail miserably like it has in the past (unless KAV releases a new heuristics module). Don't get me wrong, KAV is an excellent AV, but so is NOD32. Both have their pros and cons.

23. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Threw Webroot as far as I could, drowned, strangled, incinerated after ~4 years use.
    V5 fiasco was end for me
    Must have spent 30 hours faffing around.
    (things may have changed, but I no longer care)
    Bloated, unable to run with all features turned on, not interested in Webroot all in one devt, crap support afaiwc, etc etc etc

SAS now sits very happily in the toolbox.
    If you've checked the features in SAS you should be happy enough.
    Combines well with other tools here.
    Regards

24. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

I use to have Spysweeper on my machine several monhts ago, but i am glad i got rid of it. It started to slow my machine and freezing when it was doing a scan. I tried few other programs after that and finally found Superantispyware. I used the free one for a while but i had to buy the Pro version. I am very happy with it, it is excellent product! What ever you decide, it comes down to your personal choice!:D

25. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i have both i like superantispyware spyware but dont really like spysweeper.
    my dad only renewed spysweeper because it was cheap
    lodore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.