BCWipe's CryptoSwap

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by SafetyFirst, May 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SafetyFirst

SafetyFirst Registered Member

BCWipe has a function called CryptoSwap which enables you to encrypt the contents of swap file.

From the BCWipe help files:

I wonder how safe is to use this thing? Has anyone here on WSF used this function?

I understand that clearing of swap file is done by Windows. I have enabled it in regedit (ClearPagefileAtShutdown). Also I have enabled the option of clearing swapfile in other cleaning utilities I use (like Evidence Eliminator, Eraser etc.).

What bothers me is that applying CryptoSwap in BCWipe might clash with these other programs when they try to clear the swapfile.

Any experiences with this? Anyone?

2. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I have BCWipe, and I love the program BTW. However, I have not found any reason why I would need to encrypt the page file. I understand this does not answer your question as to the effectiveness of this feature. Nevertheless, if you have the option enabled to delete the page at reboot you should be fine. Also, look in to adding pagedefrag to your setup and you should be fine. That way you are sure to bypass any possible compatability issues with encrypting the page file.

3. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

The BCWipe function (CryptoSwap) seems to me to be an excessively complicated approach to the problem of ensuring the confidentiality of information written to the page/swap file, which may be more easily addressed by the technique described by Microsoft in How to Clear the Windows Paging File at Shutdown.

4. berdinkerdickle

berdinkerdickle Registered Member

Even though we clear windows paging isn't the files still there?
    In another words; is clearing the paging file no more than re-allocating disk space for writing, and until something like 0's have been written over it, someone could still get to those files were trying to keep private?

5. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.