BBC Streaming World Cup - Issues??

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by BearFace, Jun 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BearFace

BearFace Registered Member

Firstly, I've been lurking on this forum for a good 6 months and today, finally registered. Hurrah!
    Do any other admins have any preventative measures or concerns against users streaming live world cup matches off the bbc site?:)

2. dog

dog Guest

Welcome to Wilders BearFace ;)

Could you elaborate on your concerns? ... I assume we talking about a corp. environment.

3. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Yeah the world cup phenomenon is coming soon. Is BBC providing a live telecast of the matches via video streaming on their website?
    Has this got something to do with employees in the office watching the world cup on BBC?

4. BearFace

hi,:D
    Yep, im talking about a corp environment. The bbc is offering live streaming video of most world cup matches and Wimbledon.
    Im concerned of the high possibility of congestion on corp network during office hours, as quite a few games kick off at 2pm. Currently using Websense, but no premium groups....so sadly can not deny under Bandwith category:(
    I'm also very relucatant to deny bbc.co.uk or the world cup pages on that, as we provide linkage on the corp intranet to these sites.
    Any one else have these concerns or suggestions?:)

5. nadirah

Or will the IT administrator in the company increase server bandwidth during peak usage periods? Most employees may be trying to connect at the same time, understandable. But the only suggestion I can think of is watching it on TV or HDTV.
    Maybe some people will apply for leave to watch it live at home.

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

can you do this? - stream the first 2/3 matches yourself and have a look at the IPs, they'll probably be grouped together, you can then block the range in your FW or whatever you use to filter stuff. would that work?
    in the past the BBC only let you watch the streams if you were inside the UK, but i think they were thinking of letting more countries watch it o_O

7. BearFace

There is no chance of increasing server bandwith unfortunately nadirah, or providing TV's at work!!
    iceni60 - that idea sounds feasible....i wouldn't be sure if any other 'allowed' content would use the same IP range though.
    I read somewhere that it would only be available to license fee payers?? not sure how that would work to be honest

8. nadirah

I can't find anything on BBC's site that says they'll be offering live telecast of the matches.
    Is this a pay-to-view service?

9. BearFace

10. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

if the range isn't too big then even if things you don't want to block are blocked the chances of anyone noticing would be very small, unless their work invloves browsing the BBC.

you could also block each match individually. that would only mean blocking a few IPs per day. you'd need to block both the real and Windows formats. but i think a range would work better instead of trying to find out which IPs are being used.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2006
  11. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

12. BearFace

13. bbcproxy

bbcproxy Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.