Basic setup for online security - is it enough?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dogma, Aug 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dogma

dogma Registered Member

Hi all

I have started to shop online quite often. Is the following setup enough for security:

Avast Home
    Geswall (free)
    Windows firewall alongside Hardware firewall (Modem)
    + Common sense​

I have uninstalled Cyberhawk as it crashes Windows Explorer. And I don't like classical HIPS.

I don't wish to add anything else, unless really required. I am a safe surfer, without a need to surf on the "dark side" :ninja:

Would a anti-keylogger be necessary?

Thanks in advance.

P.S I am also considering to start online banking.

2. shek

shek Registered Member

use firefox+no script+adblock or opera
    spywareblaster could become another layer of protection.
    use hosts file, mvps is recommanded.
    add an on-demand scanner, such as superantispyware or a2 personal

the above setting won't affect your system performance.

3. dogma

dogma Registered Member

I already use firefox as my main browser, looks like I should've stated this in the first post. Don't use No-script (too annoying) and I think Geswall would protect me from any unknown download or script (through my browser).

I also use Hostman with MVPS hosts file.

Although extra on-demand scanners don't heart, I don't think they're necessary. And I never really used ewido whilst I had it installed.

thanks.

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Setup seems sufficient to me.

5. dogma

dogma Registered Member

I've run Boclean before. Although I don't really understand how it works I presume Avast already covers this area. Hence the reason why I uninstalled it. What do you guys think?

Also what about adding Appdefend for outbound control only? or a anti-keylogger?

Thanks

6. WSFuser

I think GesWall would make up for any shortcomings in avast.

7. dogma

dogma Registered Member

cool. Thanks WSFuser

8. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I boot up a linux live cd when i do my online shopping/banking. That way i'm assured a nice clean OS everytime.

9. QuestionX

QuestionX Registered Member

If you're going into the Banking business, first don't tell the public how you are set-up. But if you like, keep the info coming. Just a dumb thought i have.

10. dogma

dogma Registered Member

With regards to a linux live cd which one do you recommend? I have tried to use a few in the past (around 2 years ago) but they fail to boot up on my laptop and I can't quite seem to configure any on my desktop with my modem (both wireless and usb modems).

btw Online banking is now off. Told my bank that I ain't interested.

11. WSFuser

Well the following two links have some info on Linux and modems:

Modem-HOWTO
    linmodems.org

I dont know if theres any Linux distro with good modem support but give PCLinuxOS a try.

12. kr4ey

kr4ey Registered Member

I use openSUSE 10.2 on my laptop and have my internal 56k modem working fine.
    Every other distro I tried I could not get it to work.
    There may a problem when using Live CDs because you need the kernel source package and that's usually not included on a Linux CD but is usually on a DVD version.
    Wireless and Ethernet should not be to much of a problem. But a USB modem might be. Best to use an external hardware modem on Linux (if you use dialup). Check on distros website for hardware compatibility.
    Search around on google for Linux Forums they are a big help.

13. dogma

dogma Registered Member

Thanks guys. Credit to farmerlee for bringing Linux into the mix. I have been thinking of migrating to Linux for a year now. I must say, after running their liveCD, I am seriously considering installing PCLinuxOS as it recognises the hardware I'm using. Before this, I always thought Ubuntu of being the most likely distro that I would migrate to.

I have one question though. I understand Ubuntu offers an inbuilt upgrade facility which makes updating to the next (minor) release comparatively time consuming. What about PCLinuxOS? I'll appreciate it if you guys can shed some light.

BTW I don't know about others but I feel naked surfing online without any security software running. Although it feels good. I've got a free upgrade to Vista which is sitting on my desk. It's now looking like it will be their for a very long time.

14. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

15. Tunerz

Tunerz Registered Member

Common sense pretty much covers almost all areas of security, since a typical user will know what security softwares they need

16. kr4ey

kr4ey Registered Member

You may want to see here.

http://docs.pclinuxos.com/UpgradingInstall

but I think would be best to do a clean install of the new version whenver it's released.
    openSUSE 10.3 will be out in September or October and I plan to do a clean install.

17. omegakilo

omegakilo Guest

I agree :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.