Basic questions about VM

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by dogbite, Aug 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

Guys, I am 100% fresh on VM, thus I need some guidelines not to make any disaster.

My PC is runs W7 64bit Enterprise

I installed MS VirtualPC. Is it OK for creating and running a VM or should I look elsewhere?
    My need of VM is just for browsing and I would install a Linux distro (the lighest one) in it.

Some doubts:

1. When connected to the web, can I have a double connection like one in W7 and another one with Linux on the same time? Or do I have to stick on a single connection?

2. Can I use two different VPN's (one for each connection)?
    That's important because basically I will use W7 connection just for work (intranet, etc.) while Linux also for private stuff.

3. When allocating VM space on the HDD, it would be possible to create a Truecrypt Container and then place the VM in it?

Thanks all.

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I would look elsewhere, VirtualPC is behind in everything except Windows 9x support and XP Mode. I recommend VirtualBox; if you need the above features, VMware Player.

1. Yes, at least in VirtualBox.

2. OS-wise I'm sure that's possible. Haven't tried though, so I can't say anything about network compatibility.

3. Inconvenient, but you could store VirtualBox VMs in a TrueCrypt container, because each of them (settings included) is within their own folder.

3. dogbite

Thanks much, I am currently downloading VirtualBox because in the meantime I was searching on the web and I learnt that VirtualPC is not the best out there..:D

4. dogbite

From a performance standpoint, should I use a fixed size virtual drive or a dynamic one?
    I do not have problems with HDD space since I have about 200GB available.

5. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

I didn't notice a significant difference, but people recommend fixed size for better performance (it is kind of normal, dynamic size means more overload when accessing the virtual disks).

6. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

For secure Tor browsing via anonymous VM operating system, take a look at the Whonix project. You can download ready-to-go Gateway and Workstation virtual machine images, import them into Virtualbox, and that's pretty much it; now just boot the VM's (both images) and start browsing.

7. dogbite

How much RAM should I reserve for VM?
    I have 8GB RAM and the plan is to use Mint or Ubuntu in the VM.
    Is 1GB enough?

Thanks again.

8. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

If you have RAM to spare, give the virtual system the amount recommended for it. If you don't, give it as much as you can, no lower than it's minimum requirement. With 8GB, you should have no problems, unless you're running multiple VMs that are all demanding.

9. dogbite

If I am running a VPN with W7 (host OS) and then Linux on the VM, is the connection of the VM tunneled through the VPN or should I set up a VM's VPN?

Thanks again.

10. TheCatMan

TheCatMan Registered Member

I would love to hear the answer to this question also !

Anyone know ?

11. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

When I use a FullyRouted VPN connection (which routes all traffic from my computer through the VPN) and NAT connection in the VM, it at least replicates VPN IP. If I use Tor on top of that, then I get the Tor exit node's IP, but I assume it connects to Tor through the VPN. But VM's have different network connection options and and VPN services have different VPN options so YMMV depending on your settings.

12. dogbite

yesterday I made this test.

Host OS: W7, connected with AirVPN
    Guest OS: Ubuntu, no VPN set-up in Virtual box.

I went on the web with Firefox in Ubuntu and checked my IP.
    My IP was the AirVPN one. This means that everything should be through the Host OS VPN. I did not check about IP leaks, though.

Is this test reliable? What do you think?

13. TheCatMan

TheCatMan Registered Member

pajenn is correct the VPN IP is replicated and carried through I just tried it on virtual boxed Whonix and also Ubuntu, I ran IP leak test under ubuntu and no DNS leaks just the 2 showing up from my VPN providers ip details.

Checking my VPN site shows am connected so its replicated perfectly, only difference is running a Virtual box on 4gig Ram drive, I assume technically this is in Ram so once the Virtual box shuts down everything is lost and never recoverable since Ram is volatile ?

Dogbite there are guides for your vpn provider: https://airvpn.org/tor/

I think VPN with Tor is the recommended set up, it says its slower but would prove safer and secure, and perhaps more so with Pajenns recommended Whonix under Virtual box, although would be nice for someone to confirm that!

14. dogbite

How to password protect or better encrypt all the VM (Virtual Box) content?
    I have already Host OS encryption but I would like to secure VM so that nobody who can access my Host OS, can access it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.