Basic Paragon Drive Copy questions for cloning 1:1

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by DaveX, Oct 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveX

DaveX Registered Member

Hi, I need to make a exact clone 1:1 of a WD Hard Drive, upgrading the C: drive from a 500gb HD, (really it's 465GB formatted) to a 640GB Hard Drive, I have paragon drive copy 9, so I want to make an exact copy with the extra free space showing on the new drive. I did this once before in the past but I can't remember what I did. In the main settings, I read somewhere in this forum, that you SHOULD NOT choose the "HDD raw processing" option. How about "Partition raw processing"? does that need to be checked?

The other questions I have are, when ready to copy...In "copy options" do you select "Copy all sectors, one to one"?? clearly you would'nt choose "perform incremental copy"..and in "resize options" should "remove free blocks between paritions" be checked? and "copy data and resize partitions proportionally" be checked?

In summery, I need to clone the C: drive exactly, to a larger one with the extra free unused space showing. Thanks.

This is being done just as an update to the computer, no hardware changes, it's going in the same computer.

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

There is no need to use HDD\Partition raw processing

To get copy and unnalocated space left, do the following:
    * select source 500Gb for Copy
    * select target 640Gи
    * uncheck all settings in Copy HDD wizard:
    - Copy all sectors, one to one = no
    - Incremental = no
    - Resize proportionally = no
    - Remove free blocks = no
    * confirm and apply operation.
    * wait until copy will be completed

Then you will get copy of all partitions from source HDD with the same size + free space.

Also, it is recommended to run CHKDSK /f before copy, because Copy HDD wizard is sensitive to file system errors.

You can perform the operation from Recovery CD of Drive Copy, especially if you have 64-bit Vista or Windows 7.

3. DaveX

DaveX Registered Member

Ok thanks, that was very helpful, I'll try this when my new drive comes in.

Now this won't create the free space someplace else will it? I want the freespace to be merged within the new drive. My C: drive has no partitions, it's just one whole drive. Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  4. Mech_An

DaveX

I'm not sure what do you mean.

Could you please explain what exact results you want to get?
    Did you copy your HDD successfully?

5. DaveX

DaveX Registered Member

I'm sorry, I get the HDD in the mail in the next few days, so then I'll try it.
    Basically, my 500GB HD is near full only about 10Gigs left. I was saying when I clone it to a larger drive, will it put the free space from the new HD into the whole thing. What I mean is, I don't want it to put the unused free space from the new HD into a seperate partition.

6. Mech_An

I suppose, you want to get 640GB HDD with one copied partition , which will cover all 640GB w\o free space on HDD left.

Then settings should be as follows:
    - Copy all sectors, one to one = no
    - Incremental = no
    - Resize proportionally = YES
    - Remove free blocks = no

Copied C:/ partition will have 640GB size.

7. DaveX

DaveX Registered Member

I DO want the extra unused space.

I see when copying the only option I really should have to use is "Resize proportionally", like I said I want to see the new unused space, NOT have the entire copy be filled with only the old drive.

You say "which will cover all 640GB w\o free space on HDD left. "...I want it WITH the free space left. So I guess I use the first configuration you stated above.

8. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi,

If you follow Mech An's instructions

You will get the result you want.

Hope it helps.

9. Mech_An

DaveX

Let me explain:
    1. Unallocated/ free space on Hard Disk = place on Hard Disk where you can create NEW partition and keep your data.
    2. Free space on partition = place inside partition, where you can store data.
    wdm.PNG

To get Unallocated space left use "Resize proportionally = no"

To get FREE space inside C:/ use "Resize proportionally = YES"

10. DaveX

DaveX Registered Member

Thanks guys, the information is very helpful. I understand it a lot more now, and know what to do now....I will try this is a few more days when my drive comes in. :thumb:

11. DaveX

DaveX Registered Member

*Update* I got the result i wanted "To get FREE space inside C:/ use "Resize proportionally = YES"" that did exactly what I wanted. Thanks everyone. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.