BartPE versus UBCD4Win

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by kennyboy, Jun 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

Following on from another thread, I am going to build a 'PE cd of some kind to explore further the various "small" imaging programs. ie. DS and DC and anything else that comes along.

I have built a BartPE before but would like to know how it compares to UBCD4Win both in building, and also in booting and running programs that do not require an install. This seems a great idea to me to be able to image with just an .exe kept somewhere safe.

Any thoughts please?

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Personally, I prefer UBCD4WIN, as it comes with tons of goodies. Saves you quite a bit of time of preparing the plugins yourself. It's a ready to go package.

Still, remember that UBCD4WIN is based on Bart! It's just a different shell, enhanced visually, plus lots more drivers and programs. You can do all these manually, but if you're lazy, go for UBCD4WIN.

Mrk

3. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I never bothered with Bart. I just went straight to UBCD4Win. As Mrk notes, the choice of plugins is vast and you have the option to pick and choose which ones you want. IMO, the choices they've made are pretty much dead on. (Even the DriveImage XML restore plugin is standard.) I have never found much to criticize with UBCD4Win...

4. kennyboy

OK. So trying to INSTALL the UBCDPE builder, but when it is nearly finished installing, I get the following message:-

"C:\UBCD4Win\plugin\System-info\information\keyfinderpe\keyfinder.exe
    An error occurred while trying to rename a file in the destination directory:
    MoveFile failed code 2
    The system cannot find the specified file.

Click retry....etc"

I had shut down ALL running programs as instructed.
    I checked the MD5 of the downloaded file which is correct. Re-downloaded the installer from a different mirror...just in case. Have tried installing in 2 separate computers with the same result.
    Tried ignoring the message and continuing but it aborts the install.

Completely run out of ideas.

Anyone kindly help please?

5. kennyboy

It's ok guys. Have solved it. Was a bit of a puzzler but it seems that although I had disabled NOD32 the Nod kernel was still running and this is what caused it.
    Hope this is helpful to others.
    Thanks anyway.

6. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Now that you mention it, I remember that I too had an antivirus issue when building my most recent UBCD4Win disk. It ran fine for me too after I temporarily stopped my real-time AV scanner. (Note for those not familiar with UBCD4Win, it does not contain any viruses/malware. See this link for more info http://www.ubcd4win.com/faq.htm#false )

7. nexstar

nexstar Registered Member

Well done that man :thumb: . I'm sure you will find it to have been a worthwhile exercise. Be interested to know how you get on.

Graham

8. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

Can one add their own exe's to IBCD4Win? How is that done?

9. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

10. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

Hi Mrk, thanks for the reply and link. From what I've read so far, it seems to be an ordeal (to say the least)! :doubt:

11. kennyboy

Actually Jo Ann, it does read as very difficult but when you actually look at what is involved, it isn't that bad.....at least for the run-of the mill plugins.
    Although I am just starting with UBCD I have successfully built a disk with a couple of programs that I use, and the best tutorial for doing it that I have found is here:- http://www.mechrest.com/plugins/BartPEGuide/BartPEGuide.htm

I know it is for BartPE but it seems to work the same. He also has his own plugins that you can try out which is what I did.

I am a long way from getting the disk as I want it, but Mustangs site has given me a good start.
    Very satisfying exercise actually.......when it goes right!!......... :)

Edit. Just been investigating adding a NOD32 plug-in. Now THAT looks extremely complex.... :(

Could anyone recommend some plugins for inclusion with the build, not necessarily just AV's?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.