BartPE Plugin Paragon Backup & Recovery

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by TheArtfulDodger, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheArtfulDodger

TheArtfulDodger Registered Member

Hello:

I have been attempting to read through the Sticky "BartPE Plugin Paragon Backup & Recovery 10" and while it must have answered many questions when it was first done, nothing seems to be of value - the links don't work, there seems to be a bunch of secondary threads and all in all, it is of little use to me. I am attempting to do what Paragon_Terry was doing in his answer to the initial question. Unfortunately, his second link doesn't work.

Therefore, I would appreciate it if someone could answer the original question "Where do I get a Bart PE plugin for Paragon Backup & Recovery" again with updated information, links, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Sparky

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Are you specifically trying to make bartpe - or would a more recent pe - e.g winpe3 do the job?

What os do you have to create it on?

3. TheArtfulDodger

Hello, SIW2:

I am not sure of the answer - I was trying to put together a bootable USB drive with as many useful tools on as I could find - I really didn't know exactly what would be on the 'creature' the article would create - I simply wanted to see - but to no avail!

I am working on Windows 7, Home Premium, 64-bit.

Thanks for replying.

Kind regards,

Sparky

4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

I am intending to make a little program which will create winpe media for paragon users.

It basically just uses what is already on your HD. Dependibng on the o/s you are running - it does not contain any MS files , and it will download whatever is needed from MS - not the whole of WAIK - just the needed bits.

That will vary from from nothing needed to 120mb - depending on the o/s that is running.

I have it working already ( tested on 7x64, 7x86,Vistax64, Vistax86 - not tested on XP,which I don't have installed ) - just needs tidying up.

5. TheArtfulDodger

Hello:

I'll be waitin' - let me know!

Sparky

6. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

7. John Doe Genius

John Doe Genius Registered Member

Interesting project, SIW2. I have run the process three times (v4); everything seems to work well, I end up with the encouraging “Enjoy!”.

However, it is not possible to boot from the CD: “The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.” The screen advices me to run the Windows “Repair”. I have done; no errors reported. I have tried to burn Paragon.iso with my regular burning app, but the result is the same.

8. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hiya John,

That is odd.

Could you have a look at it with poweriso ( free unregistered version will be fine ) or any other isohandler.

It will tell you at the bottom of the main window if the iso is bootable.

Thanks.

9. John Doe Genius

Unregistered PowerISO 5.4: Tools > Test file reports “C:\PARAGONPE\ISO\sources\BOOTx86.wim The file format is invalid or unsupported.” I have the same result with C:\PARAGONPE\BOOTx86.wim. I think I have to perform a new d/l?

10. John Doe Genius

I have re-downloaded BOOTx86.wim and burned c:\PARAGONPE\PARAGON.iso with PowerISO. Still Windows fails to boot from the CD.

I open c:\PARAGONPE\PARAGON.iso in PowerISO; the bottom line says “Bootable Image, total 178 MB --- 25%”.

I do not understand what I am doing wrong.

11. John Doe Genius

I have performed another test with PARAGONPEv4 including a new d/l of BOOTx86.wim. Still a CD burned from PARAGON.iso is unable to boot.

I have examined c:\PARAGONPE\ISO\sources\BOOTx86.wim. The wim includes the two Paragon programs I added, namely HDM2012 (PAR1) and B&R 12 Compact (PAR2). I was not allowed to add a third Paragon app (PAR3).

I added drivers for USB 3 (2 inf files) through the option D. The project files responded correctly: “Found 2 driver package(s) to install...” But I cannot find nusb3hub.sys/nusb3xhc.sys in the resulting wim file.

I have used c:\PARAGONPE\ISO\sources\BOOTx86.wim as a source file for my manual creation of a WinPE environment. The burned iso does boot, the Startnet.cmd is executed (with 'wpeinit'); after that nothing more happens. winpeshl.ini is ignored (never executed).

Your cmd files are impressing, SIW2. In some mysterious way you seems to succeed to d/l WINPE.WIM from waik_supplement_en-us.iso as BOOTx86.wim.

I am running a localized Win7; could that be the reason for the failure? Does you project only work with en-US version of Windows? (It is hard to believe this is the reason; I was running en-US version of WAIK before I d/l'ed the localized versions of WAIK and 3.1 supplement.)

Could I possibly give you more exact information? If so, please tell me.

Regards, JDG

12. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Thanks John.

If you could run dir command on the PARAGONPE\ISO\sources\bootx86.wim and post it up that may help.

Like this:

imagex /dir C:\PARAGONPE\ISO\sources\BOOTx86.wim 1 >C:\PARDIRINFO.TXT

13. John Doe Genius

Hi SIW2,
    I have attached the PARDIRINFO.TXT according to your instructions.

But now I have just experienced SUCCESS after this operation:
    > Copied c:\PARAGONPE\ISO\sources\BOOTx86.wim to c:\winpe_x86\ISO\sources\boot.wim
    [ c:\winpe_x86 is the default folder for my WAIK system ]
    > Created the .iso with this cmd:
    Oscdimg -n -bC:\winpe_x86\Etfsboot.com C:\winpe_x86\ISO C:\winpe_x86\PARAGON.iso
    > Burned the iso to a CD

And voilà!
    SUCCESS!

Regards, John
    PS What a great solution ... when it works! I am going to use your project!

Attached Files:

14. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

The wim is fine.

It seems you need a standard iso - the one it makes by default is udf with bios and efi support.

Glad it is working for you. :D

15. John Doe Genius

Could you please tell me how to obtain 'a standard iso' with the use of mkisofs.exe? I have studied the prog's -help, but I am not sure what parameters I have to change. Is it -iso-level?

I should really like to have a working cmd file for my Win7 computer; this is the easiest method I have ever tried for creating an adaptive WinPE recovery media!:D

16. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

mkisofs.exe -iso-level 4 -force-uppercase -volid "SIW2" -b BOOT\ETFSBOOT.COM -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 8 -hide boot.catalog -duplicates-once -o "PARAGON.iso" "%CD%\ISO"

If you want to use oscdimg, like this:

Oscdimg -n -bC:\PARAGONPE\ISO\BOOT\ETFSBOOT.COM C:\PARAGONPE\ISO C:\PARAGON.iso

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  17. John Doe Genius

I should report: 05.12.2012 I re-downloaded SIW2's PARAGON PE MAKER project. This time I successfully created a boot-able iso file (using the mkisofs.exe inside PARAGONPEv4.zip).

However, the disadvantage is that the project uses the en-US keyboard; this very cumbersome to users with a localized keyboard.

The project includes another excellent product from SIW2, the DismGUI.exe. This project has three input fields to set 'locale and keyboard':
    “Input Locale”: I enter '0414:00000414'
    “Timezone”: I enter 'W. Europe Standard Time'
    “Install key”: Whatever I enter, an error 87 is reported.

“Input Locale” and “Timezone” perform the processes I previously started manually:
    Dism /image:C:\winpe_x86\mount /Set-InputLocale:0414:00000414
    Dism /image:C:\winpe_x86\mount /Set-TimeZone:"W. Europe Standard Time"

To obtain a correct localizing, I have to manually execute:
    Dism /image:C:\winpe_x86\mount /Set-SysLocale:nb-NO
    Dism /image:C:\winpe_x86\mount /Set-UserLocale:nb-NO

Then I can check the result with:
    Dism /image:C:\winpe_x86\mount /Get-Intl

Does anybody know how to use “Install key” in SIW2's DismGUI?

Tip: How to find the proper values for localization? Use Dism.exe to report your computer's settings:
    Dism /online /Get-Intl

The command returns:
    Default system UI language : nb-NO
    Spare language for UI: en-US
    System locale : en-US
    Default time zone : W. Europe Standard Time
    User locale for default user : en-US
    Active keyboard(s) : 0414:00000414, 0409:00000409
    Keyboard layered driver : PC/AT Enhanced Keyboard (101/102-Key)

Installed language(s): nb-NO
    Type : Partially localized language.

[Comment: I have translated the text from Norwegian to English. The keyboard value '0409' is the alternate EN keyboard, '0414' is my active keyboard NO. You may switch between NO & EN with Alt-Shift]

[Comment2: The Dism commands above shows 'C:\winpe_x86\mount' as the 'Mount Directory'. DismGUI has an input field for this variable.]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.