bartpe Echo Server UR problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by holden523, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. holden523

holden523 Registered Member

Hello all, I'm having a little issue with a bartPE disk for TI Echo Server. I've previously built a bartpe disk for TI9.1 Server that worked beautifully, and followed the same steps this time after purchasing Mustangs Echo server plugin. I ran the autohelp file, it picked up the license keys for both TI and UR and built with no issues. I also verified the keys against the ones in the registry...they were identical. I then build my bartpe, also without issues. When I run the disk, it runs fine, but with one flaw. It never lets me choose to use UR. I tried it with restoring full disks, single partitions, tried a few different image files but I get nothing. However, if I try my 9.1 bartpe disk on the same hardware, UR shows up fine. I think i've made a mistake during the build, but I cant find it. Thanks in advance for the help!

2. mustang

mustang Developer

Do you see the words "with Acronis Universal Restore" in the heading of the first window that opens when you run TI in BartPE? If you do, there is nothing wrong. If these words are not present, there is something wrong. Let me know what you see.

3. holden523

Thanks for the reply mustang. Yes, I do see those words across the top, which led me to believe i built correctly.

4. mustang

mustang Developer

You are having the problem many people have reported. The UR option is not offered during a restore. This is an Acronis problem. There is nothing wrong with the plugin and you have not made any mistakes. You need to contact Acronis support to see why the UR option is not wroking for your hardware.

5. holden523

Thanks Mustang, I'll check it out with them.

6. freeman76

freeman76 Registered Member

Hello,

i have the same problem, with the different i can not see "Universal Restore" in the title o_O . I use the latest release from Acronis True Image Echo Server und Universal Restore.

Thanks for answer

freeman

7. mustang

mustang Developer

Open the inf file with Notepad and look at the end of the file. You need to see the serial number from the registry for Universal Restore. It should look like the following:

; License key from registry
    [Software.AddReg]
    0x1, "Acronis\TrueImage", "server", "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
    0x1, "Acronis\UniversalRestore", "server", "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"

Copy and paste the UR serial number from HKLM\Software\Acronis\UniversalRestore "server" to the inf file. Put two quotes at the end of the line and put the cursor between them and paste.

8. freeman76

freeman76 Registered Member

Thank you. Now in the title the "universal restore" indicated.

9. holden523

Well, I've done some testing with my BartPE on different hardware, but it seems no combination of hardware or images will get the Universal Restore option to come up for me. i tried new and old hardware (5 different PC's), Echo images and 9.1 images, but it wont come up for me. I'd like to go through what I did with the plugin to make sure I didnt hose something up.

Eveything went by the book until it looked for the UR license code. When first running the autohelp.cmd file, it just skipped it. I had this problem with my 9.1 disk, and it seemed to be the same issue this time. The following line of code couldnt find the file specified, so it didnt look for UR.

if exist "%CommonProgramFiles%\Acronis\TrueImage\bootagent_omni.config" (%RegRead% "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Acronis\UniversalRestore" "%LIC_REG_VALUE%"
    )ELSE (
    goto :No_UniversalRestore_Found
    )

I modified it, adding NOT between if and exist on the first line, like so...

if not exist "%CommonProgramFiles%\Acronis\TrueImage\bootagent_omni.config" (%RegRead% "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Acronis\UniversalRestore" "%LIC_REG_VALUE%"
    )ELSE (
    goto :No_UniversalRestore_Found
    )

This time it found the license key and inserted it into the inf.

The only other slightly weird thing was a few "file no found" while checking profile requirements and a helper plugin being installed. Anything sound wrong in all that?

FYI version is build 8,018 if that means anything.

Thanks a lot!!

10. mustang

mustang Developer

You haven't done anything wrong in setting up the plugin. The UR function is built into TrueImage.exe. Putting the UR serial number in the registry unlocks this feature. If you see the words Universal Restore in the heading, you've done all you can do. There is a decision making process included in TrueImage.exe that decides when to present the UR option. The plugin has no control over this. Many people have reported this issue. The Windows version may act differently than the Linux version with respect to UR. You need to talk to Acronis Support about the problem.

You should have the file bootagent_omni.config at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\TrueImage when UR is installed. If you install TI or UR on top of an existing installation, stange things can happen. I always uninstall both UR and TI and delete any left over files before installing a new version. Is it possible you installed on top?

11. holden523

Mustang, thanks again for all your help and advice. I finally got it working (kinda) by downloading the newest build of both ATI and UR. Mine seemed to be considerably older. Once I did this my disk worked fine, at least with an Echo .tib file. I've tried it with a 9.1 .tib, but I get no UR option with that. Not too big a deal though, as my 9.1 disk works fine with those. As far as the boot omni file, I dont believe it existed (though I'll check again) and that seems to be supported by the code change allowing the UR license to be found. Oh well....Again, thanks for the help Mustang, you're a lifesaver as usual.

12. WGZ_BANK

WGZ_BANK Registered Member

The Problem you described is known as an official bug. We had this Problem with the 8018 Build of Acronis True Image Echo Server under special machine configurations (IBM x3650 with Qlogic 2460 HBA on emc Symmetrix).

We reported this bug to the Acronis technical support in Munich, Germany.

Glad for us, that Acronis was able to get the same bug, so they decided to contact their development in the US and they send us some special builded versions which solved the problem at last. These changes were included into the latest Echo Server Versions: the Build 8076.

With build 8076 our problems with UR were fixed (which is almost no guarantee for further hardware configurations).

Special thanks to the Acronis Second Level Support in Munich - we phoned almost 5 times a week for three months - and they were really interested in solving the problem.

I think this should be said here, because some people were dissapointed about the support, but we had no reason to say something negativ about their work !!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.