Bart PE disks stopped working correctly

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by gberns, Sep 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gberns

gberns Registered Member

Made my disks months ago and verified that they were working properly. Decided to test them tonight. Have two of them and they both failed in same fashion. When they booted the computer Acronis was not listed in the list of available programs. Used file manager feature to change to Acronis folder and double clicked the exe file. Program loaded, found the backups on my external USB drive, and proceeded to tell me that all of my backups were corrupt. Wouldn't even let me verify them.

Then booted to my recovery disk made from within Acronis itself. Backup was fine and was able to test restore a file.

Why should behavior of disks change which have just been quietly sitting on a shelf?

Gary

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

On my plain vanilla BartPE with the Mustang's TI plugin when I click Go--->Programs Acronis True Image Home is the last program in the menu that pops up. You can check this by putting the BartPE CD in your cd drive. It will autorun and when Go appears tell us what happens when you click on Go--->Programs. I've had this disk sitting around for months. Has anything changed in your machine?

3. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

On my BartPe with the ver.9 plugin, True Image is at:
    Go>System>Storage, but I didn't make my the Mustang way.

4. gberns

gberns Registered Member

Answering two posts at once, there is no reference whatsoever to Acronis under programs. Another plugin on one of the disks does appear.However, it does indeed appear under the system/storage sub-menu as mentioned in the other post.

I have changed no hardware on my computer since these disks were made. When originally made Acronis showed up under programs.

5. thomasjk

It sounds like on the disk where plugin appears you have used the plugin that is included with TI. Mustang's plugin appears in Programs so it sounds like you also made a disk with his plugin. It most likely won't work properly if you tunneled down to find the executable. Can you launch the plugin on the disk that does contain it? Just let the disk autorun and try to launch TI.

6. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Disks don't change! If there's a "change" it's either hardware on the computer or the operator. Humans are human, a few weeks and the world looks different. Computer disks aren't human and don't change in a few weeks unless you scratch them or rewrite them.

Look very hard and you'll find the human element that explains this.

7. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

JMK, ya shudda bin a diplomat. :D (or are you?) I couldn't have put it so kindly. :oops:

8. gberns

gberns Registered Member

I launched it from system/storage and once again got the corrupt messages about my backups.

9. gberns

gberns Registered Member

I have looked myself over from top to bottom and find that all my parts remain the same as when I made the disks. My computer looked itself over and made the same report.

If you have nothing useful to say, why not say nothing?

10. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I think jmk94903 did have something useful to say and that is the failure mode you describe is highly unlikely. If you said you can't boot the disks then I'd say you have a bad disk or reader but to have 2 disks fail in a similar non-catastrophic manner is very unusual.

Any chance you have everything still on your HD and recreate them?

11. thomasjk

Corruption reports can be caused by memory. Download and run Memtest86+ http://www.memtest.org/. Run it for several hours(overnight is good). See if it reports any errors. I do agree with jmk94903. Disks just don't go bad. If its reporting the images as corrupt you some other problem.

12. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

I'm sorry you didn't appreciate my way of saying this.

I enjoyed the first part of your response which was clever. Too bad you had too much to say, but this is your thread, and I won't intrude further.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.