Bare Bones Archive

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by WWS, May 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WWS

WWS Registered Member

I'll be getting a newly built PC with nothing on it but Win 7. Here's an opportunity to make a bare bones archive and/or disc of this new system with the minimum amount of applications on it. It would be used for future clean installs.
    I intend to have FDISR, Acronis TI, email, a firewall and antivirus on the archive.
    Would anyone like to fine tune this?
    What would you do, starting from scratch, to have a archive that you're confident that it is really clean?

2. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

Talking about bare bones, not sure I would include email and firewall. I guess it depends on how committed you are to the two programs. Installing an email program if necessary is fast and I have changed firewalls a few times. For starting clean and then building up, Windows FW will do. How long would it take to do a fresh installation of a different FW once you are ready?

I think it would be a good idea to have the installation files and regos for your commercial progs ready and then later decide what else to add. Some of my software programs are "evergreens" whereas others lost favour pretty quickly.

Also, as Peter has explained many times you can use a bare bones archive purely for booting up and then refresh with your last good archive or an archive created for specific purposes. In that case you really don't need to have much in the booting archive.

3. WWS

WWS Registered Member

I will be making a disc with just the OS, Acronis and FDISR on it for a bare bones rescue or reimage.

Thanks for your reply.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.