Bank says no to XP for online banking

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by cortez, Apr 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Going into the bank with a question like that is probably a good guarantee of getting bad answers. Have you actually tried logging into your accounts with an XP machine and see what happens. I have a Thinkpad Table X60 that still runs a Tablet version of XP and I feel quite safe with it. I just tried and can log into all my bank accounts. 4 major big banks.

As for this XP is dead only a fool would run it I say nonsense. Fact of the matter I stopped doing windows updates on the machine 2 years ago and instead rely on security software a trust. Not the end of the world and no infections. So March 8 was a yawner for me. Besides what would one have me do. No way can I upgrade this tablet to win 7. Hardware works perfectly and would cost almost $2000 to replace. Why do that? Because some one says I should no longer run XP. No thanks. Fact is the only concern I've ever had is that the bank itself got hacked.

Before you try all there endless solutions, try logging into your bank accounts and see what happens. I now what I'd bet on.

Pete

2. Victek

Victek Registered Member

It doesn't sound like the bank people told you XP wouldn't work, only that they recommended not to use it. In other words they didn't say that computers running XP would actually be prevented from accessing the site. Is that correct?

Does a website have the ability to determine the OS of a client machine? A website receives information about the browser user agent, which (as others have mentioned) can be easily spoofed. A sensible thing for people running XP to do would be to use one of the current browsers, such as Chrome or Firefox and not IE 8 which is the last version available for XP.

3. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Ignorant/Simple Minded/Uneducated people usually follow black and white rules. For them Windows XP will be indefinitely less secure than a completely compromised Windows 7 laptop.

4. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Blocking will probably prove difficult for banks, but that's not the most important issue IMO. If consumers accounts get emptied by banking trojans, the banks could start requiring an investigation of the compromised device, and refuse to refund any OS that is not approved, AV+FW installed, updated or whatever.
    I think it's best to name the banks that don't want to approve Linux, they probably don't want to risk angering the whole Linux community.

5. cortez

cortez Registered Member

I have several accounts and I was able to log on to a small one with XP SP3 (with no updates for 2-2 1/2 years). The site did not block my access or issue any pop ups or other communications stating that I was not using an up to snuff OS. The "personal banker" did mention when asked that I was covered for online theft as long as a Police report was made.
    But he still insisted that I no longer use XP.

I was told a long time ago that the below info was accessible to online entities.

I am not sure if this is true or not. XP for banking.JPG

Edit: As I always clear my browser history, when I do go online to check balances the Log- On page says " we do not recognize your computer" then offers a telephone number to call or to receive an E mail with an access number to enter along with my other info to get logged in. They stress that this number will expire in a short time and to therefore use it promptly.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  6. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

Maybe he was trying to give you some computer security advice...
    Only a part of it. The browser sends a User Agent string in every HTTP request that can contain the OS version that you are using. But that is the only piece of information that is directly accessible to a server that you connect to. However, that User Agent string can be changed by the user at will.

That sounds like a two way authentication mechanism. Usually, if you specify that your computer is "trusted" during a two way authentication session, a cookie is stored and you will not be asked for the second factor (that access number) when you are using that browser. When you cleared your history, if you cleared that cookie as well you are required to use the second factor again (hence the need to call a phone number to receive that access number).

7. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Sure is, plus many other things.

8. pegas

pegas Registered Member

It's nice that banks say NO to XP but until they resign on Java the security of their online applications won't be improved. Personaly I don't have a problem with XP, after many years of the regular monthly maintenance this system is quite hardened. However a lot of banks, insurance companies and other institutes still have their online systems built up on Java applets, so users don't have other chance than to install Java environment. Look at past two years, there wasn't a month when a Java vulnerability or security risk wasn't discovered. :thumbd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.