Bad signature update?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by CScott, Jun 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CScott

CScott Registered Member

Hi

This morning we are seeing a lot of our servers all grinding to a halt with high cpu usage, of course all servers are running ESET Antivirus.

possible signature problem?

Thanks

2. queeg505

queeg505 Registered Member

Yep same here!

3. CScott

CScott Registered Member

Do the machines with the issue have V3.0.695 installed?

4. queeg505

No mainly 4.2.71.2 and 4.2.67.10 I guess its the atial signature file thats at fault

5. CScott

CScott Registered Member

OK, we have a range of versions out in the field, but at the moment our common theme is windows SBS servers (2003 and 2008 ) with version 3.0.695 and signature version 6204 and 6205

However we have seen a couple workstations with the issue, but mainly its the servers that are the problem

Its a fast moving situation here thou! may all change

6. anvarich

anvarich Registered Member

problem with 6205 antivrus update. Eset support prmised 6206 update with bugfix. 500 PC with nod32 hanged up over 6 hours, thank you eset, again/

7. queeg505

yes I too have a number of sites and they are a combo of SBS 2003, SBS 2008, SBS2011, Server 2003 & Server 2008.

Most servers are using 90-99% of CPU for ekrn process, some at 75% and a couple at 50%

8. queeg505

Well the 6206 update is out, however it only releases the CPU load on a server reboot, so well done for making us have to reboot servers during a working day!!! grrrr

9. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Instead of rebooting the server, try running this tool.

10. Marcos

We're about to roll back to the previous archive module build, however, we will highly appreciate if you could generate an application dump of ekrn or a complete memory dump from the moment the system is sluggish or unresponsive and convey it to us for perusal.

11. anvarich

6206 update and fix help to reduce CPU usage on 15-20 minutes, after that CPU usage change again to 100 %

12. Marcos

The issue occurs when NSIS archives are scanned and you have a scanner using non-default settings (in particular, when the "Scan all files" option is unticked).

The easiest solution is to enable that check box for all scanners and restart the computer. If you have a server affected that you cannot afford to restart, let me know. We have a solution ready for such cases as well.

13. mbroughton

mbroughton Registered Member

Finding the same here. +300 Windows desktops (Win7 Vista and XP) now running 6206 and have been restarted. 15-20 mins after reboot ekrn.exe absorbs all the CPU and system is too slow to use.

Apple Mac machines running ESET on 6205 or 6206 are running fine.

I can confirm that under File System Filter / Setup / Scan local disk = "YES" & Scan Network disks = "NO"

Windows using: 4.2.71.2; Macs using: 4.0.62.0

14. Nick0

Nick0 Registered Member

This is not the setting Marcos was refering too.

Please open your Eset software
    Press F5
    Choose "Real time file system protection"
    Click Setup
    Click Extentions
    Then TICK "Scan all files"

15. anvarich

In ERA all checkbox in file system scan are active. Why this issue didn't occured before 6205 update? We waiting appropriate rollback.

16. Marcos

In ERA, you can configure real-time protection to scan all files as follows:

Attached Files:

17. CScott

CScott Registered Member

While I know these signature issues are uncommon, they are frustrating when they occur. How about an option in future versions of ESET to roll back a signature version or 2 while the issue is resolved?

18. mladen

mladen Registered Member

Why should we now include all files in scan when you recommended some time ago that this option should be unchecked?

BTW, several PCs in my company had this problem this morning and it looked like the 6206 database version solved this. However, my PC (and I did not have that problem) now have ekrn.exe around 97-99% , opening web pages has become much slower that before (Google Chorme 12 and IE :cool:. Also, accessing network drives has become slower than before 6206.

NOD32 is 4.2.71 on Windows XP service pack 3 PCs.

19. Marcos

This has nothing with signatures, the problem is related purely to the archive module.

20. anvarich

Option checked. ekrn.exe is still warming our CPUes after 15 minutes fix_update.exe execution. All PCs have 6206 update. Now i'm run fix_update in batch remote execution mode. No solution today?

21. Marcos

If you applied the setting to scan all files remotely via ERAS, I'd suggest making sure that it was actually properly applied on a target computer that is still experiencing the issue.
    If the computer was already sluggish, a subsequent restart or running the fix tool must have eventually fixed it. If you wish, you can send me settings from such a client and I'll have a look at them to make sure all scanners are set to scan all files.

22. anvarich

private messaging notworkig now forum said

23. Marcos

The problem has eventually been solved with the archive module 1132. Should you still experience issues, please let us know.

We also encourage you to use default file extension settings (ie. "Scan all files" box ticked) which will remove the security whole when not all files are scanned for malware.

24. anvarich

Which version of NOD BE must be for this archive module ? we have 4.2.71.3 with archive module 1130.

25. dmaasland

dmaasland Registered Member

All versions >2.7 will get this module. If you are using a mirror make sure to update that too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.