Bad Sector

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by hgratt, Feb 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hgratt

hgratt Registered Member

I have an old Dell, I7500 laptop with win98se. I tried to image the drive today with Acronis TI ( have done this many times before) and it halted with a read error due to a bad sector. Identical error happened several times at the same sector number.

I am now running a full scandisk on it (probably take all day) with the option to fix all errors. I have a few questions:

1. I have scandisk set to do the surface test, etc. Will it mark the bad sectors so that True Image will not attempt to read from it?

2. Is TI "smart enough" to avoid the bad sectors and do a proper image?

Thanks,
    Harvey

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Harvey,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Scandisk should mark all bad sectors on your disk so that other Windows applications could work properly and avoid using these sectors.

After the Scandisk completes please create the image and if the error still appears please press the "Ignore all" button and the image will be created.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. hgratt

hgratt Registered Member

Just a followup. Took the better part of a day to fix everything up. I had to run scandisk from a boot to the command prompt. It did find bad areas on the disk but was able to fix them without leaving any bad sectors. These areas corresponded to a corrupted set of files in a Norton AV directory ( this seems to be frequent issue with NAV).

I was then able to run TI and make the image. Also, went ahead and cleaned up the drive and defragmented it (almost 5 hours - first time in 5 years) and then made another successful image (and verified it).

Thanks,
    Harvey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.