Backups Jobs Randomly Fail with TI 9 Home

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by nemesisdb, Jan 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nemesisdb

nemesisdb Registered Member

I have the latest build of TI 9 home. It's running an on optiplex GX520 with XP Pro Sp2. The machine has three HDs. The first contains the boot partition (c drive) and a smaller dell diagnostics partition. The other two are in a RAID 1 array behind a promise tx2200 controller (drive M). The drives in the array are sharing files for other computers on the network.

I currently have full backup jobs set for friday night (at staggered times) for the two drives. I have incremental backups occuring throughout the week. These backups are sent to a shared drive on another computer in the network.

The problem is that the backups will periodically fail (once or twice a week) with the message saying Cannot create the image of the logical drive M: because it is currently in use by running applications or the logical drive contains bad sectors.

If I reset the computer, I can restart the job and it will work fine. Other than that though, once this message appears, I can not run backups for either drive without generating the message (and I've tried just about every possible combination and setting -- including logging in and out of windows, restarting services, kill pretty much everything running, etc).

Both drives check out fine. While it varies, usually the only open handles to the drive are M:\$Extend\$Objld and M:\System Volume Information\tracking.log . I can run a full chkdsk M: /v /f without getting a drive is in use error.

I tried to solve this months ago with Acronis support and felt like I was in an endless loop. I'd create a bunch of reports, uninstall and reinstall a bunch of programs, create another bunch of reports -- and then a new TI version would come out and they'd make me start all over again.

Acronis support repeatedly blamed/suspected AVG but the problem occured once it was removed (although in fairness I think it did error out less often). AVG obviously works fine with TI on my other machines so I'd appreciate a better reason (or any reason actually!). Acronis also advised I uninstall my RAID software which seemed like a non-starter to me.

What kills me is how random it seems. Sometimes it will go nights in a row without issue. Othertimes I find myself rebooting the computer and running the job in the morning.

Anyone wish to offer up some advice?

2. nemesisdb

bump ... anyone?

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello nemesisdb,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Since you have already contacted Acronis Support Team to investigate the issue, it would be helpful if you could let me know your Acronis request # which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter. I will look through the investigation and provide with further instructions, if needed.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

4. nemesisdb

Thanks for replying. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I had given up on this thread :)

The original case number on the issue was

5. nemesisdb

6. nemesisdb

Should I expect a reply any time soon?

7. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Just throwing out some thoughts ... do you have the system on a UPS otherwise there might be electrical glitches causing this?

8. nemesisdb

yes, it's a on a UPS. as a recent update (and I'll need another week or running stable to confirm), it seems to be related to the windows fax service or the fax modem I have attached.

with the modem removed and service turned off, this error has not happened. it's only been a week though so it may be just good luck.

Modem was a recent USR courier (I can get the model) attached via serial port. Was using the built in XP fax service.

edit: worth noting that I have tried killing (and or restarting) the fax service once the error has occured without success

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.