Backup XP Home Ed. and another security tip

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by dog, Apr 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dog

dog Guest

Hi All,

First of all the This post is probably more for newbies. :D

I've always used Norton Ghost as my back up utility ... but after reading a post somewhere on the Wilders forum about the backup utility in XP, I thought I'd look into it.

But to my surprise it wasn't there. Start > all prgms > accessories > system tools > But NO back up

I was too embarrassed to ask what was wrong or where it was. So off I went to Microsoft to do a little searching ... Turns out ... the back up utility isn't included in the default installation (BTW ASR Automated System Recovery isn't supported in XP Home either) But back up is provided as a value added feature on the XP CD. But seeing as XP was pre-installed on this PC, I never poked around the installation disk. (New lesson learned for me; always poke around, lol)

Anyway I thought I'd post my experience along with links to the Pertinent Microsoft Knowledge Base Links in case in can be of some use to others.

First all the pertinent Links:

How to Install Backup from CD - XP Home Ed.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;302894

How to Use the Backup utility to back up files and folders in XP Home
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;320820

An Error Message is displayed when you attempt to use the ASR wizard
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;302700

How to: Backup, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322756#2

Anyway on to the Basics:

1. Load your XP installation CD into your CD drive
    2. After auto run starts ... Select Perform Additional Tasks
    3. Select Browser this CD
    4. Select the Value Add Folder
    5. Select MFST folder
    6. Select NTBACKUP folder
    7. Select NTBACKUP installer

Wizard Installs :D

Now to make a Backup of Registry and other System Files:

**note** In Home Ed. you can't backup directly to CDR ... Simply Backup to a specified folder making sure it's less the 650mb, and then copy it to CD.

1. Select - Start > ALl Prgms > Accessories > System Tools > Backup
    2. Select Advance mode on the wizard
    3. Click the backup tab
    4. Select System State in the left pane
    5. Select a folder using the browser botton at the bottom left of the utility and select save
    6. Click Start backup
    7. Click the Advance Button - check the box that say Verify data after backup & click OK
    8. Now click start backup.

Once it's done you can send the file to the CDRW and make a backup copy :D

You should probably also print all the links and store them for future reference

Lastly, one other thing For Security I discovered reading the XP manual ... There's a default admin Logon available in safe mode and for security you should password protect it.

To password protect Restart your PC in safe mode
    To select the Admin Logon

Go to Start > Control Panel > User Accounts > Select Admin Logon > Select the Password Function
    Enetr and Verify you password ... it's a good idea to write the password in your XP manual so you don't forget it ... in case you need it down the road

I hope this post can help someone out there ... It's my little effort to give back to all those at wilders

Thanks

dog *puppy*

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2004
  2. masterwriter

masterwriter Guest

I am no expert but I understood System Restore creates backups in XP home. I should also say I have been told it is not very good but my experience of it has been OK

3. dog

dog Guest

Hi MasterWriter, :)

System Restore does create backups in a sense, but these backups are overwritten as your pre-determind allowance for disk space is used. Using the back up utility, there is no risk of lossing the info so to speak, it can be stored in a file or written to disk.

It's also wise to use a backup utility like Norton's Ghost, or Acronis' proggy to make an image of your entire drive ... should something fatal happen. But this is a time consuming process to due very regulary ... I usually use Ghost about twice a year, and use the XP back up utility monthly to backup the system state, as it's quick and easy.

dog - *puppy*

ps. I'm no expert either ;)

4. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

Thanks for the info, DOG!! I have tried to back up XP too, and it just stared back at me like, WHAT NOW? I never even thought to use the CD,duh! So thanks for all the info and research ya did! I will put it to good use, now, to find that *&^ cd, it's under all these notes and files somewhere:rolleyes: . Good day to ya!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.