Backup won't complete - 98%

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bigpal, Jun 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigpal

bigpal Registered Member

I am attempting to do a live backup on windows XP professional. The backup gets to 98% with 30 seconds left, and then gets hosed - the system locks up (mouse still moves around, but thats about it). Everything becomes unresponsive, and I can't start task manager, and am forced to do a hard reset. I have tried several times, and I am running the latest build.

I tried doing a rescue disk backup, but acronis won't see my standard usb external disk.

So far I'm just tickled with acronis. Can someone help me before I go out and buy ghost 12.0?

Thanks in advance.

2. jaycee

jaycee Registered Member

HI,

For your usb disk, did u make sure to plug it before you boot Acronis CD?

For your freeze problem, did u suspend your antivirus software?

Jaycee

3. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Hi Bigpal, welcome the the Forum... :D

While I agree that Acronis True Image is not perfect, going out and buying Ghost 12.0 may also not be the smartest thing you will do today.

It is not uncommon with all software that there will initially be some setup issues, however, once you have got the software setup correctly to your environment then you should have no further problems.

In addition to the suggestions made by Jaycee you should also do the following before attempting your first backup: -

Running ATI from Windows:

1. Run chkdsk <drive> /r
    2. Cleanup the disk
    3. Cleanup the Registry
    4. Defrag the disk
    5. Check for any special areas on the disk (Encrypted files; Locked Folders; Encrypted Safe's...etc)
    6. Disconnect from the Internet and stop all monitoring processes (Firewall, AV, Spyware, AdAware, WinPatrol..... etc)
    7. Try to backup a small selection of files as a test

Running ATI from the Boot CD:

If ATI cannot "see" your USB drive then the problem is most likely due to a missing or incompatible Linux driver. The quickest way to resolve this issue is to raise a Support Call with Acronis and ask them if they have a Linux driver for your USB drive. You will need to provide Acronis with full details of your hardware.

As always, I strongly recommend that you only use drivers that have been approved by Acronis or that have been supplied by the hardware manufacturer. It is extremely risky to download unknown drivers from Internet web sites.

T.

4. mfabien

mfabien Registered Member

I assume you have ATI Home 10...

Reloading ATI using the downloaded file and selecting "Repair" may resolve your issue (Freeze at 98%).

Once your full image backup gets completed, you may consider creating a BartPE CD with the ATI plugin. That one operates with its own Windows O/S and will have no problem recognizing your USB HDD and will give it the same drive letter you already have with your internal Windows.

5. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Out of the frying pan and into the fire :D

Good luck with that ;)

F.

6. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Frying pans are good...o_O

Well yes.... compared to Fires that is..... :D

7. bigpal

bigpal Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback! I'm going to try several things today, I haven't given up yet. I just did a clean install, next I will clean up the disk and registry and try again.

Will advise.

I'm running this on a RAID 0 array (2 disks). Is that a problem? Even the boot disk finds the array fine, so I'm thinking its ok.

Also, where can I find the plugin for BartPE? I have a nice PE already compiled for my system with all drivers, so that would be nice.

Thanks

8. mfabien

Last edited: Jun 7, 2007
  9. mfabien

Simply follow the procedure for the creation of the BartPE CD explained by Mustang in the thread linked herein above.

10. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

If you didn't do a complete install it won't be there. Use one of Mustang's BartPE Plugins instead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.