Backup Verification question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bornconfuzd, Jul 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bornconfuzd

bornconfuzd Guest

Hi All,

I've created a "Backup Place", second internal drive, and set the limit to 3 backups, and created a "Task" to make full backups twice a week.

All is working well in that regard.

My question is about verification. It seems that TI wants to verify all three backups every time it does a backup. So it takes about twenty minutes to do a backup, and then about an hour to verify that backup along with the previous two.

Is this normal procedure? And if it is, is there any way to change it so that it only verifies the backup it just did?

I've included a screen capture of the three log entries that lead me to believe this is what is happening............well, you know........just in case I might be wrong...............:D

Thanks, Larry

TI 10 Home Build 4942
    Windows Vista Ultimate

Attached Files:

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I don't use TI10 but in earlier versions all archives in the Secure Zone are validated when a validation of any archive is requested. AFAIK, this is still the normal behaviour in TI10 including the new Backup Locations.

3. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Over validations are a long standing "feature" of TI. The problem first surfaced in the secure zone and has now been perpetuated in the special "backup locations".

I can see some tenuous sense for multiple validations in the case of one base image and several incrementals additions. However as you have found all images and also all increments or diffferentials are revalidated when any more are added. This daft prrocedure continues to this day even though it has been complained about for literally YEARS.

There are two workarounds that I know about. The first is not to use the secure zone or the "Locations" feature at all. Instead send your backups to a separate partition/hard drive or folder and devise a sequence of backup schedules so that the oldest is overwritten on a FIFO basis.
    The way I do it is I think rather elegant. I use the secure zone and one backup schedule. This gives me my required stock of images with automatic FIFO management. Instead of running validations, which for nine or ten full images would take forever, I run actual restores to exchangeable main hard drives. I use three in total to give extra redundancy and room to experiment in perfect safety.
    By doing restores "up-front" any hard drive or software problems can be eliminated in the time it takes to shut down and re-boot to a good drive. With my gear I have timed this at three minutes [​IMG].

Xpilot

4. bornconfuzd

bornconfuzd Guest

Hello again,

Thank you both, Xpilot and seekforever for your responses! Another perplexing problem dealt with by the forum!

I expect the workaround for me will be something on the order of yours, Xpilot. Thanks for the feedback!

It's kind of stunning that as great a program as TI is, that changes like allowing us to choose which backups to validate aren't incorporated.

Oh well, it has already saved my bacon a couple of times in the short time i've been using it, so i'll keep right on using it!

Thanks again guys.

Larry

5. gatownsend

gatownsend Registered Member

Well, this answers the question I was going to post, and explains why my verifications keep taking longer and longer. I do a full backup once/week and incrementals in between. I've set it up to keep three weeks backups (21 files in all), and the verify is starting to take so much longer than the backups. I was starting to think something was wrong with the Linux-based NAS I'm backing up to, but since the actual backup was speedy I was a bit stumped why the verify would take so long.

One of the main reasons I purchased this software was for the "backup place" feature. I might explore backing up to a regular directory and not using the backup place. I'll have to think about it.

Regards,

Gary

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bornconfuzd and gatownsend,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that this is the known issue and it will be fixed in the future versions of Acronis True Image. Please accept our apologies for the current inconvenience.

Be aware that every backup in the Backup Location validates only if the "Validate backup archive upon operation completion" option is enabled (Tools -> Options -> Default Backup Options -> Additional settings).

If you use Validate Archive tool (Tool -> Validate Backup Archive) of Acronis True Image then only the selected backup archive validates (along with corresponding incremental/differential backup archives, if any).

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.