Backup to USB Drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by sam2539, May 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sam2539

sam2539 Registered Member

Is it possible to backup to and restore from an external hard drive that is connected via a USB cable

2. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Yes..

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello sam2539,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Yes, it's possible. Using Acronis True Image you are able to back up to and restore from the external USB hard drive.

Please note that using Acronis True Image 9.0 you will be able also to create a special bootable rescue media. If your system fails you will just need to boot from the rescue media and restore the system.

When booted from the bootable media you are able to access any connected hard disks as well as a wide variety of IDE, SCSI, FireWire (IEEE-1394), USB (1.0, 1.1, 2.0) and PC card (PCMCIA) interfaces and devices, including CD-ROM, CD-R(RW), DVD, magneto-optical drives, network, Iomega Zip and Jaz.

You can also find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 Home in the respective User's Guide.

Please download Acronis True Image 9.0 trial version at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/trueimage/ in order to check how the product works.

Please visit Acronis online store to purchase the full version of the product.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

4. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

One limitation I have discovered for my own configuration using TI Home v9, is that if you try to boot from a USB flash disk, having an external USB disk connected at the same time can confuse it - it seems to want to boot from the USB disk. I have to unplug the USB disk, and then reconnect it after it has started to boot from the flash disk.

Apart from this it seems to be OK.
    F

5. n5eea

n5eea Registered Member

How do you create the bootable rescue mediao_O
    Does it require more than a single floppy disk?

I'm curious because I'd like to do this for a system. But the system only has a cd-rom reader drive. Not a cd-burner drive. And I don't have an external burner for it.

6. Howard Kaikow

You can find this info in the User's Guide.

You can use CD, ZIP or floppy recovery media.

However, if you have a free drive bay, easiest is to get a CD-RW writer.
    Drives are very inexpensive.

7. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

If I remember correctly, you'll need 6 floppies to create a Recovery set.

I therefore agree with Howard on purchasing a burner. But I would like to add that you should think about where you will be keeping the image files. After you get this point cleared you may decide that the new burner should manage DVD's too.

8. Howard Kaikow

Build 2337 required 8 floppies.

In anoter posting, TI said that 10 floppies would now be needed, havenot yet tried with latest build.

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello n5eea,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that when using 3.5” diskettes, you will be able to write on a diskette (a set of the diskettes) only one component at a time (for example, Acronis True Image Home). To write another component, start Bootable Media Builder once again. The full version requares 10 diskettes (~13,26 MB). The safe version - 9 diskettes (~12.05 MB). This information is for the latest build (3633) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home.

You can also create an ISO image of the bootable disk. Having created the ISO disk image, you will be able to burn it onto any kind of CD/DVD recordable, using CD/DVD recording software on another computer.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.