Backup to NAS possible?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by SirEbrum, Nov 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SirEbrum

SirEbrum Registered Member

Hi everyone, glad to be here! :D I've purchased DB9 Personal recently as I was very impressed with Free-10 during the Beta and RC of Win7. I'm trying to backup a freshly installed Windows 7 x64 to my ReadyNAS Duo, but I've run into to two "hurdles".

1. HotCopy isn't working, as I'm always asked to Reboot.
    2. After reboot, it sits on step 2 of 5 for ~30 seconds then errors and states that it cant create the image, then reboots.

Please note that #1 occurs regardless of the destination being a network or local (secondary) SATA hard disk. I've tried Microsoft's VSS and Paragon's versions, and while using the VSS option, I made sure the Service was running.

Another oddity is that when I'm going through the wizard that my mapped network drives aren't shown. I have to select the little "map network drive" icon (drive Z:) and also included the username and password.

This is a clean install of Win7 x64, activated, with Office 2007, Norton 360 3.0, and AHCI is enabled. I'd like a clean backup of this configuration before I install anything else on the system.

Thanks for any ideas.

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Uncheck the 100MB partition next to your Windows 7 partition. The partition has been conflicting with our program, prompting for a restart. With it unchecked, you should be able to run the backup without having to restart.

3. SirEbrum

Thanks for the quick Re: Tommy, but how will this effect a restore? Will my system be able to boot without that 100mb partition?

4. SirEbrum

Ok everyone, have I run into a common "Catch 22" situation here?

• Booting off of the CD into Normal mode, I cannot see either of my SATA HDD's, but I see the Network Configuration menu selection.
    • Booting off of the CD into Safe Mode, I see both of my SATA drives, but I have no Network selections.
    Is this a common/known issue? ...and can this be overcomeo_O?

One of THE main reasons to buy PDB was to create images to a ReadyNAS box on the network and have the ability to restore directly from it if needed. I want to loose the second hard drive in my system and use it elsewhere.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

5. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

I can't answer the ReadyNAS question I'm afraid - since I don't use it.

The 100mb is the system partition - it contains the boot critical files.

As long as that remains in place - you can image and restore the 7 partition ( containing the rest of the o/s ) without issue.

If you are not using Bitlocker, you may wish to make the 7 partition into the system partition.

That is easily achieved by marking the 7 partition Active ( rt click it in Disk Management and Mark as Active) - then boot the 7 dvd to system recovery options and run startup repair 3 times.

It is even quicker to do it with a couple of commands - but many are more comfortable using startup repair to do it.

Hope it helps.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  6. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.