Backup to NAS possible?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by SirEbrum, Nov 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SirEbrum

SirEbrum Registered Member

Hi everyone, glad to be here! :D I've purchased DB9 Personal recently as I was very impressed with Free-10 during the Beta and RC of Win7. I'm trying to backup a freshly installed Windows 7 x64 to my ReadyNAS Duo, but I've run into to two "hurdles".

1. HotCopy isn't working, as I'm always asked to Reboot.
    2. After reboot, it sits on step 2 of 5 for ~30 seconds then errors and states that it cant create the image, then reboots.

Please note that #1 occurs regardless of the destination being a network or local (secondary) SATA hard disk. I've tried Microsoft's VSS and Paragon's versions, and while using the VSS option, I made sure the Service was running.

Another oddity is that when I'm going through the wizard that my mapped network drives aren't shown. I have to select the little "map network drive" icon (drive Z:) and also included the username and password.

This is a clean install of Win7 x64, activated, with Office 2007, Norton 360 3.0, and AHCI is enabled. I'd like a clean backup of this configuration before I install anything else on the system.

Thanks for any ideas.

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Uncheck the 100MB partition next to your Windows 7 partition. The partition has been conflicting with our program, prompting for a restart. With it unchecked, you should be able to run the backup without having to restart.

3. SirEbrum

Thanks for the quick Re: Tommy, but how will this effect a restore? Will my system be able to boot without that 100mb partition?

4. SirEbrum

Ok everyone, have I run into a common "Catch 22" situation here?

• Booting off of the CD into Normal mode, I cannot see either of my SATA HDD's, but I see the Network Configuration menu selection.
    • Booting off of the CD into Safe Mode, I see both of my SATA drives, but I have no Network selections.
    Is this a common/known issue? ...and can this be overcomeo_O?

One of THE main reasons to buy PDB was to create images to a ReadyNAS box on the network and have the ability to restore directly from it if needed. I want to loose the second hard drive in my system and use it elsewhere.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

5. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

I can't answer the ReadyNAS question I'm afraid - since I don't use it.

The 100mb is the system partition - it contains the boot critical files.

As long as that remains in place - you can image and restore the 7 partition ( containing the rest of the o/s ) without issue.

If you are not using Bitlocker, you may wish to make the 7 partition into the system partition.

That is easily achieved by marking the 7 partition Active ( rt click it in Disk Management and Mark as Active) - then boot the 7 dvd to system recovery options and run startup repair 3 times.

It is even quicker to do it with a couple of commands - but many are more comfortable using startup repair to do it.

Hope it helps.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  6. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.