Backup to external harddrive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by aarond38, Apr 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aarond38

aarond38 Registered Member

Please tell me how I would go about programing Acronis home 9.0 software to backup into fewer image segments. I did one backup image using Acronis TI 9.0 defaults and obtained 11 segments yesterday. Today, I went into the settings prior to backing up & using their estimated size of backup (approx. 33 GB) & set backup size to 34 GB wanting to obtain only 1 image if possible and
    received 11 segments back today also. This is all happening when I direct image to be downloaded to my external drive.

When I backup to my Windows XP C drive I don't seem to have this problem.
    This really is a small issue now but after 2 or more full images I would have over 22 segmented pieces!

Acronis Home 9.0 is a great product and I have had no other problems with it thus far but just need to iron out a few kinks. Thanks in advance for any assistance you all can send my way.

Aarond38

2. howie123

howie123 Registered Member

Your external drive is most likely formatted using FAT32. The maximum individual file size using FAT32 is 4GB and that's why you see so many "segments" when imaging 33GB of data. Formatting the drive to NTFS will eliminate this problem.

3. aarond38

Hey Howie, thanks for the quick comeback, I really appreciate it. That explains my dilemma! You are correct, my external HD is FATS32. How do I go about formatting the drive to NTFS? Can it be done by Acronis TI 9.0 Home
    software or possible by my XP Pro setup? Anyone else?
    Have a great day.

Aarond38

4. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

5. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Windows XP will convert fat32 to ntfs, but I don't know if this applies to an external drive. Also Partition Magic will do this and will not affect existing files on the drive.

6. aarond38

Thanks for the info., I'll check into it ASAP.

Aarond38

7. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

What has been suggested is to Convert the external drive rather than a format. If instead you want to format the drive to NTFS (all info on it will be lost) you can do this from Disk Management in Windows XP. With the drive connected do a search for file diskmgmt.msc and open it up. The file is most likely in the C:\Windows\System32 folder. You should be able to select the drive and right-click on it to open the option to format. Realize that once it is formatted to NTFS it will not be usable on Win9X systems and returning to FAT32 is not an easy matter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.