BACKUP TO DVD ??

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by gulfwindx, Oct 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gulfwindx

gulfwindx Registered Member

Will TI 8.0 backup a image to DVD my 250 GB SATA drive has 20 GB on it which I wish to keep an Image of in case of a hard drive failure . What size would the Image be about ...... any guess would help Thanks in Advance

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

TI8 will not directly write an image to DVD.

You can do what is called the 2-step process. Create an archive on another partition on the same disk or another disk and then burn it to DVD using Nero, Roxio, or whatever burning program you like. Be sure you select the "verify after burning" feature of the burn program.

If you do not have a second disk or partition, you can still create an archive on the partition being backed up. Ignore any warning messages. You must copy the archive off this area because you cannot restore to the same area the archive is stored on (the first thing it does is delete the partition and your archive would be gone).

You should also use the TI validate archive feature before burning as well and be sure to specify a backup split size that will fit your DVD.

A 20GB used space would result in an archive of about 12-14GB using Normal compression depending on the nature of the files. Already compressed files like zip, jpg, mpeg, etc will not compress further so if you have a lot of them the size could be larger.

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello gulfwindx,

As far as using TI 8.0 to image to DVD, see my reply at <Post #4 in this previous thread>. Assuming a normal mix of programs and data, and using TI's "Normal Compression" setting, I would expect your "Full" disk image to be around 15GB or less.

Regards

4. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Backup/Restoring to/from DVD is a 'painful', if not unreliable, process - even with TI9 (and I speak from experience)!

Do yourself a really big favor and get an external USB drive. You can find them on sale every week.

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I second that.
    Backup is your very last hope to save anything on your computer.
    ATI saved me several times in just 6 months. If you have any respect for backup, do it the right way and CD/DVD's are too risky.
    I never had any harddisk crash since I use computers, but I had several CD crashes and that was logical enough for me not to use them anymore.

6. jelenko

jelenko Registered Member

My experience is different. I've never had a CD/DVD die on me but have had 6 drives die over the past 6-7 years. This is over 4 pc's. One of the causes was a lightning strike, the rest just died. [I'm now running a SMART monitoring utility - hoping to anticipate the next failure.]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.