Backup to DVD+R error

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Midnight Rambler, May 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Midnight Rambler

Midnight Rambler Registered Member

I run IT v. 9.0 (build 3,854) and until today, have backed-up images to a second hard disk without a problem.

Just bought a DVD writer and have encountered a problem backing up the image to DVD+R. Instead a choosing the second hard disk as the backup destination, I choose the DVD writer, but I get error messages that say "disk is full" even though the disks are brand new and the format option doesn't work.

How do I format these new DVD+R disks with IT or do I even need to?

Thanks in advance.

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

You don't need to format them at all. Do you have INCD or DLA running? If so disable them and try again.

3. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Midnight, using optical media is the painful way to do backups if the size of the Image spans 4 or more dvds. The pain becomes apparent when you try a Restore. The process makes you swap those disks in and out in what seems like a neverending task. If the Image uses 3 disks the recovery process is just tolerable but still involves some swapping.
    If you want to keep an extra copy of your backup on dvd media, use what we call the 2-step method. First put the backup on another hard drive, like you have been doing, then burn that image to dvd. Of course you have to do a little pre-planning and save the backups in dvd sized chunks.

4. Midnight Rambler

I unchecked "Enable DLA on your drives" and rebooted but got the same error message (E00040003: Error writing the file).

See attached error image. Odd too, is that TI shows the drive as "CD-RW Drive (D:)" when in fact it is "DVD-RAM (D:)" drive. Not sure if this is part of the problem.

I'm using Verbatim DVD+R 16X so they're not poor media quality.

Attached Files:

5. Midnight Rambler

The 2-step method is a reasonable alternative but how do I save the backups in dvd sized chunks?

I'm also still interested in how to solve the error (E00040003: Error writing the file).

Thanks.

6. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

You can set the archive file split size in the Options screen when going through the backup wizard. You can also set it in from the main screen in Tools - Options - Backup Defaults or something like that.

I dislike DVDs (slow and what I consider to be less reliable) but do burn some as a third level backup always using the 2-step method. I split all my archives at 1492MB which means that 3 tib files fits nicely on DVD. It also uses the ISO rather than the UDF file system which is preferred by some but really is a non-issue since UDF is readable by the TI rescue CD and Windows. I split all archives since I never know (usually) which ones I might put on DVD.

If I had to restore from a DVD (unlikely) I would copy the archive files to a HD first.

7. Midnight Rambler

Using the 2-step method, I split my archive into three volumes: two at 4,550,820 KB (MyBackup1.tib and MyBackup2.tib) and one at 922,071 KB (MyBackup3.tib).

To which of these three volumes do I append changes for a differential backup?

Is it volume three as highlighted in the image below?

Attached Files:

8. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

You can pick anyone. TI knows that they are all linked since you did a full backup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.