Backup to both USB and firewire drive successfully??

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by data7, Sep 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. data7

data7 Registered Member

I read a review from newegg.com where the writer indicated that the image would create fine on the firewire drive, but not on the USB drive using a Windows box and True Image 9.0. Has anyone else had this experience?

I have eliminated CDs and DVDs as a good way to store an Acronis .tib image file, but I assumed that the USB external drive would work without a hitch.

Perhaps I was mistaken...

Regards

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Many TI customers use USB and Firewire devices without problems. My cheapie USB external housing with an IDE drive in it worked like a charm.

Most of the difficulty in situations like this results from TI using a memory-resident version of Linux when retoring images to a new, bare-metal drive or when restoring the system partition, usually C, since it cannot be restored from within Windows.

The Linux environment supplied may not have a driver or a good driver for the USB or Firewire device. While this was one report, I would guess that there is more success with USB than with Firewire. Sometimes the USB chipset in the external drive does not handle large files well or does not like the corresponding chipset in the PC. I would guess that as time goes on, the chipset problems are less.

Acronis will supply a proper/better driver if that is the problem it seems. Also, the TI installation file contains a plug-in for BartPE which allows the user to build a BartPE disk which is a Windows environment and uses the Windows drivers.

Microsoft distributes a version of Windows called WindowsPE (Preparation Environment) to its corporate customers. Some fellow called Bart realized that this could be useful and figured out a way to build a similar disk using custom code and some of the files from the XP installation disk. There are various applications, called plug-ins, that are made to run in this environment.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello data7,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

In addition to seekforever's reply, I'd also recommend that you download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home to evaluate all capabilities of the software before purchasing.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 Home in the respective User's Guide.

We also recommend that you take a look at the Acronis True Image 9.0 Home FAQ page, Acronis Public Knowledge Base and this article providing the illustrated instructions on Acronis True Image 9.0 Home installation and usage.

Please visit Acronis online store to purchase the full version of the product.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.