Backup Strategy Help, Please

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by TMitchell, Dec 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TMitchell

TMitchell Registered Member

I have a new Lenovo (IBM ThinkPad) T60P laptop running XP (SP2) Pro, a 100 Gb hard drive and a DVD optical drive. XP is OEM installed, so I do not have the original MS XP program disk. I have installed ATI 9 using the Acronis CD, and have a downloaded (but not yet uninstalled) version 10.0. I have not made any bootable CD/DVD rescue media yet. I do regular full backups to an external 100 Gb USB drive. So far I have successfully completed several full system restores (after putzing around installing then uninstalling programs).

My question is this: Given the system components identified above, and recognizing my limited computer tech skills (I don't know a BartPE from a Bart Simpson), what is the recommended process for creating rescue media for this setup so that I could boot from it given the external USB location of the Acronis Secure Zone backups and the lack of an MS original XP program disk? Also, would I be better off first installing ATI 10 before creating bootable rescue media, or just stick with 9? (I've read a lot of post indicating problems with version 10 versus 9.) A simple cookbook outline of the suggested steps in the process would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you kindly.

2. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

TMitchell,

You should create a Rescue CD from the currently installed version of TI right away. You need it if Windows crashes or your system drive dies. Run the Create Bootable Rescue Media tool to accomplish that (the CD creation, of course :D ). Then boot the computer from the Rescue CD, validate the image stored on the external drive and also take the first few steps in the Recovery wizard to verify that the image on the external is accessible for restore as well. Then Cancel, retrieve the CD and exit TI to let the computer reboot into Windows.

With every new build or version of TI you install, you should create a new Rescue CD and repeat the above tests.

The BartPE CD is required only if the regular Rescue CD does not work (well) with your hardware. I don't expect you'll need it, but anyway, you would require a WinXP installation disk to create it. Just forget BartPE for the moment.

I understand you set up the Secure Zone on the external. I hope you haven't also activated the Startup Recovery Manager because if you have, you may run into problems if you turn the computer on with the external disconnected. Before you store too many images in the Secure Zone you should make up your mind if you indeed want a SZ. Actually, you could do without it and store the images on the normal partition on the external. The latter solution would allow you to manage the image files (delete or copy them) with Windows Explorer, while the SZ is a hidden partition, accessible only from TI and you are not able to manage the images stored therein. They are automatically deleted (when space is needed for a new image) by TI on the FIFO basis - see the rules applied in the User's Guide.

If you decide that the SZ is not what you wanted you can remove it by way of the Manage Secure Zone tool. Mind that you confirm that you want the space taken by the SZ to be reallocated to the regular partition on the external. Removing the Secure Zone with its tool will also deactivate the Startup Recovery Manager if previously activated. By removing the SZ you will also loose any images already stored in it, so it's important you make your decision about SZ early.

I would suggest you stay with TI9 until you get used to it and upgrade to TI10 when the next build, with some current bugs fixed, is released. But if you bought a boxed version of TI9, find out what build you have (Help>About) and download the current 3677 build if yours is earlier. Always uninstall the previous build/version before installing a new one.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.