Backup still at 0% when doing large files and folders

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by PortVista, Dec 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PortVista

PortVista Registered Member

I'm doing a back-up type "Files and Folders" -- which has about 260GB in it. Normal compression. It does not give me a time estimate like it used to -- not sure why. When it runs, it just stays at 0%. I finally canceled it since it wasn't going anywhere. It did make a file called Movies1.tib with 0bytes.

Is this normal because it's so large? Is there another way to schedule back-up files -- like just copy them over? It only takes about 15 mins that way.

I can't do a full image, because it's a 750GB drive and I don't want to partition it... well I guess I could, but the whole reason I got the drive is so I could pull all my movies in one folder.

True Image 9.0

2. PortVista

Just an update: I tried to run the schedule again, it showed it processing a few movie files and then it just stuck on one for about 5 hours. Upon trying to cancel, it just greys out the Cancel button and doesn't stop. I then tried cancelling from the task tray, but same result. I guess I have to reboot now, because it's slowing down my computer.

Is this a known bug and is it fixed in v10? I'd be happy to upgrade as long as I don't find new bugs that prevents my more important C drive back-up from working.

I'm also looking to back-up my Windows 2003 Server (if I can figure out which version I need), but if this stuff is going to happen then forget it!

3. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Your best bet might be to download the trial.

F.

4. davidm_uk

davidm_uk Registered Member

I've recently purchased v10 and am trying to set up a differential backup of my Outlook Express mail files, to run once a day when I log on (currently 6 folders, 89 files and 186Mb). I've set up a backup location specifically for the email backups.

I logged out and back in about 30 minutes ago and the scheduler icon in the system tray is still reporting 0% complete. OE is not running, so the files shouldn't be in use by anything. XP Home task manager reports 100% cpu utilisation, and the process tab shows virtually all of it being eaten by TrueImageService.exe.

*wtf* is going on? :mad:

5. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Time to raise a support request :'(

F.

6. MKairys

MKairys Registered Member

It is very well documented in this forum that email backup is broken in the current version of V10.

7. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

PortVista,

It's not clear from your post, but if your large movie files are on your C drive, you might reconsider partitioning your drive and move them to a different partition. Then you can back them up with a simple copy, as you mentioned, unless your backup location is the SZ. More important, you said you can't do a full image. If it's the C drive you're talking about, a full Image is what you need; relocation big chunks of media files might solve this.

CatFan

8. PortVista

Ok I'm using the trial now, it moves along a little further. It actually tells me how long it will take (8 hours). Well I tried this back-up 2 times last night. It always gets stuck and gives me a pop-up error without finishing.

I bet WinRAR can do this in 1 hour and doesn't give me any errors. This is crazy.

I get this error important part in bold:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Acronis True Image Home
    Event Category: (4)
    Event ID: 1
    Date: 12/4/2006
    Time: 4:22:42 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: ALPHA
    Description:
    The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( Acronis True Image Home ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Failed to backup file or folder 'E:\Data\Movies\Disney_2006.avi'.
    Error reading the file. (0x40001)
    Tag = 0x61F1883FE50B0AEF
    (0x1003EB)
    Tag = 0x14181C22EF45AC00: Retry/Ignore/Cancel.

9. PortVista

75GB WD Raptor C:
    750GB Seagate D:
    Plus 3 other ~300GB drives I'm using to store the back-ups (they are removable drives)

C: gets a full image back-up
    D: is too big to back-up its image, and I don't want to partition it (yet)

A simple copy of the movie files is what I'll probably do. It's too bad TrueImage won't schedule a simple copy -- I also use SyncBack, and it will also put them in a compressed file like TrueImage (zip or rar file), but I don't want to have all these programs running in the background.

10. phil.brady

phil.brady Registered Member

Is it a corrupt file which is nothing to do with TI?
    Can you do a plain ordinary copy of that disney_2006.avi file using windows explorer?
    Phil

11. PortVista

It stopped on two different files. Neither is corrupt and can be copied no problem. It's 1000 times faster to just copy them for safe keeping anyway. I'm not sure how True Image helps things, especially with this bug. Would be interested in knowing why though!

I do back-up my most important data (my C drive) using True Image's presumably proprietary image format, so when I see True Image bug out like this, it makes me wonder how reliable it is. I have successfully restored images and data before with True Image and it's quite nice.

I also use True Image it to back up my client's project data, and that's the file/folder method. That always works, but it takes about 6 hours to do about 100GB (P4 3.4Mhz HT system, 1GB RAM). I really think moving everything into a RAR file would be faster...

12. phil.brady

phil.brady Registered Member

Can you do a files only backup containing just one of these troublesome files?
    This might tell us whether the problem is with that individual file or an overall system/TI/ output file limit.
    Phil

13. PortVista

I tried a 3rd time and it stopped on a different file. It seems to process the files in alphabetical order based on complete file path. When it gets stuck on the file, the CPU goes to 0%. I canceled it -- well I had to end the process, cancel doesn't do anything. I reloaded TI and selected just that file, and it backed up just the one file ok.

Just wanted to edit -- in my previous post I said I've backed up 100GB with this same file/folder method, that's incorrect, I've only done 10GB and it seems to take about 6 hours when I do it -- lots of small files.

14. PortVista

I still can't do a folder full of large files... has there been a fix for this? I'd like to back up a folder of about 300GB, each file is about 1GB.

15. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello PortVista,

Apart from any other problems you may have, creating a Files and Folders image of 300GB of data is going to take a VERY long time - about 4 to 5 times as long as a Disk or Partition image. Using a default Backup Options setting of Normal for both Compression and Priority, it takes me about 14 minutes to create a full image of my system disk containing 16GB of used space. A Files & Folders image of the same disk takes around 59 minutes!! It starts off at around 1hr 20mins but after approx 3 mins with the % Completed sat at zero, the time left begins to drop steadily.

Going by my times above, I reckon your 300GB of avi files would take True Image around 18 hours. :p

By the way, I note that you have set your Backup compression option to Normal. As .avi movie files are already heavily compressed, there is nothing to be gained and everything to loose by trying to compress them further. Set TI's compression option to "None" and you should find that the actual time taken (as opposed TI's estimated time) to image those .avi files will reduce.

Regards

16. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello PortVista,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Could you please collect the following information that will allow us to investigate the issue?

First of all, please make sure you use the latest build (3854) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

1) Please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and see if the problem still persists.

If the issue persists, please enable logging by SnapAPI program, reproduce the program failure and send us the "snapapi.log" file which is located at C:\. You can also use Windows Search tool (available in Start menu) to find this file.

2) Please also send us the log file from Acronis True Image 9.0 Home that contains the error message. In order to do so please do the following:

- run the program;

- select Show log on the toolbar or from the Tools menu;

- select the log with error messages;

- click "Save the log entry to file" (the diskette icon)

3) Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.