backup software for flashdrive to pc

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by 1 2 3, Nov 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1 2 3

1 2 3 Registered Member

how do you backup files from a flash drive to a computer, when the drive letter of the flash drive is different each time?

ty.

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Easiest way would be to write a script that checks for a very particular file that only exists on that drive. For example you could have

My_ID.123

You can make directories, make the volume label particular, create files with common or custom extensions, you could create a text file that is read by your script that could identify it, and even have a list of what to backup, etc.

There are other ways, but a small batch file could easily accomplish what you want to do with an identifying file/directory.

Sul.

4. HAN

HAN Registered Member

In Windows (XP and beyond), if you change the drive letter to something like M thru Z, the drive letter will stick in future sessions.

I backup my main flash drives to each other using GoodSync. GS is not free but it is the best sync software I have ever used. It nearly always makes the correct syncing decisions. And if it doesn't it's simple to make it right with just a click or two...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.