backup software for flashdrive to pc

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by 1 2 3, Nov 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1 2 3

1 2 3 Registered Member

how do you backup files from a flash drive to a computer, when the drive letter of the flash drive is different each time?

ty.

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Easiest way would be to write a script that checks for a very particular file that only exists on that drive. For example you could have

My_ID.123

You can make directories, make the volume label particular, create files with common or custom extensions, you could create a text file that is read by your script that could identify it, and even have a list of what to backup, etc.

There are other ways, but a small batch file could easily accomplish what you want to do with an identifying file/directory.

Sul.

4. HAN

HAN Registered Member

In Windows (XP and beyond), if you change the drive letter to something like M thru Z, the drive letter will stick in future sessions.

I backup my main flash drives to each other using GoodSync. GS is not free but it is the best sync software I have ever used. It nearly always makes the correct syncing decisions. And if it doesn't it's simple to make it right with just a click or two...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.